• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Floating Vinyl

bassNspear

Hey All,

Just wanted to drop a line to see what you all think.

I seen there is this new vinyl out there that you put down over the top of the old vinyl. you pull your baseboard off, lay it down, without sticking anything on it, and then place your baseboard back on. Then when you walk on it, the new vinyl is to hold down the they exsiting floor.

Any thougths.

I've installed a lot of vinyl floors and will say. Regardless of what type vinyl you use, if your going to have seams its not a DYI project. You will not be proud of your first seam, or second, third, and ....

You would be better of getting peel and stick 1' squares.

With this vinyl you get a tube of glue, line the vinyl pattern apply glue to the joining edges,lay em lay flat on the floor push em together and walk away,let glue set and walla a real good looking seam.The problem is you get the ammount of glue for the seam not much extra! If ya can ask for extra glue and do a practice seam it will help! Its easy nice looking seam(if ya take your time).

Floating vinyl uses tape on the seam(one seam only). Which is probably the most forgiving or should I say, you can make a mistake and do it over.

What is the size and shape is the room? If you have an L then no matter what you'll have waste because you'll need that to match the pattern.

A Neighbor did his last year,the edge glue was basically the same as PVC glue,It fused the two edges together,a bit of working time maybe 5 min. but on the 12 ft seam it ate up 1/2 that time applying the glue and not being sloppy.Never know it was seamed unless you were looking in the right spot and closely!Course if you did it you would pick it out knowing it was there.

I have some of that lock stuff that looks like tile. It is okay. It ios wider than the hardwood panels, so it snaps together a bit tougher, not as pliable. But works. My bro in law did his bathroom in it at cabin, looks nice.

But we just had vinyl done (by pro) and it is the tile look. Holy cow, it just looks great, way better than our snap and lock stuff we have. Easier to care foor. Ours was just small piece in new construction, but I really like it.

You might be surprised at the price.

Get a bid. If you remove the base and undercut the door jambs then clean the floor you've taken care of all the prep.

With the slump in the housing market, your little job will look more appealing. If your flexible on the date, all the better.