Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassNspear

Floating Vinyl

14 posts in this topic

Hey All,

Just wanted to drop a line to see what you all think.

I seen there is this new vinyl out there that you put down over the top of the old vinyl. you pull your baseboard off, lay it down, without sticking anything on it, and then place your baseboard back on. Then when you walk on it, the new vinyl is to hold down the they exsiting floor.

Any thougths.

I have installed a couple jobs of it and seems to be working out fine.

but it seems like you would have alot of waste buying the huge one sheet.

You have to get it in one sheet correct, otherwise it will look horrible.

I've installed a lot of vinyl floors and will say. Regardless of what type vinyl you use, if your going to have seams its not a DYI project. You will not be proud of your first seam, or second, third, and ....

You would be better of getting peel and stick 1' squares.

With this vinyl you get a tube of glue, line the vinyl pattern apply glue to the joining edges,lay em lay flat on the floor push em together and walk away,let glue set and walla a real good looking seam.The problem is you get the ammount of glue for the seam not much extra! If ya can ask for extra glue and do a practice seam it will help! Its easy nice looking seam(if ya take your time).

Floating vinyl uses tape on the seam(one seam only). Which is probably the most forgiving or should I say, you can make a mistake and do it over.

What is the size and shape is the room? If you have an L then no matter what you'll have waste because you'll need that to match the pattern.

A Neighbor did his last year,the edge glue was basically the same as PVC glue,It fused the two edges together,a bit of working time maybe 5 min. but on the 12 ft seam it ate up 1/2 that time applying the glue and not being sloppy.Never know it was seamed unless you were looking in the right spot and closely!Course if you did it you would pick it out knowing it was there.

i just dont think i wanta do this.

I was thinking of doing the Snap in Looking Stuff, kinda like the hardwood flooring, but looks like Title with Grout.

What you all think of that?

I have some of that lock stuff that looks like tile. It is okay. It ios wider than the hardwood panels, so it snaps together a bit tougher, not as pliable. But works. My bro in law did his bathroom in it at cabin, looks nice.

But we just had vinyl done (by pro) and it is the tile look. Holy cow, it just looks great, way better than our snap and lock stuff we have. Easier to care foor. Ours was just small piece in new construction, but I really like it.

see, i would like to do that, but i cant afford to have someone come in and do it for us. I think its goign to be to much money.

You might be surprised at the price.

Get a bid. If you remove the base and undercut the door jambs then clean the floor you've taken care of all the prep.

With the slump in the housing market, your little job will look more appealing. If your flexible on the date, all the better.

i went and picked up the snap in vinyl today. Going to start putting it in on tuesday. Ill have to take a few shots to show you all how it turns out.

1/2 way through the process now. I was so busy with everything, i will take a few shots when were all done. Its starting to look great.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Still have my old sno-boat. Best portable shelter out there for pulling by hand. You scored a heck of a deal! I feel mine is irreplaceable! I don't use it much, but when I do, I'm so glad I have taken care of it and still have it 16 years later. I've had 1 zipper replaced on the D-door and some patching done at Canvas Craft years ago.  I think the other zipper is on it's way out, and will definitely get that repaired when needed. 
    • If you planning on doing any hand pulling at all then do not get the lodge she is a tank and would not fit in a short box. As long as your not 300+ lbs you'll be perfectly comfortable with 2 adults in the cabin. Also a cheap alternative to Hifax are a set of old downhill skis (normally $7-15 @ goodwill) I pull mine across parking lots all the time behind the wheeler and they hold up really well. An added bonus is if you cut them off at the end of the sled then they work great for loading and unloading the shack from your pickup box by yourself because the steel sides dig into the ground a bit keeping the bottom from sliding out.
    • tip to a couple good friends   Len,
      Thank you for the stream recommendation, Len! I love the layout of this stream. Fished it from 3pm until 6:30pm.  My brother threw panther 9s and I threw 6s. We scored a brookie/brown/bow trifecta.    
    • Nelson has been down in recent years in terms of Walleye fishing. Depends on what kind of water you like to fish. The flowage and Moose Lake are good if you like fishing really dark water. Grindstone and Lac Courte Oreilles, maybe even Round are also good walleye lakes, but those lakes have very clear water and will fish completely different than the dark water river impoundments in the area.
    • I think it would be an offensive and experience(post season) up grade. I all reality, we dont have the means to make the trade.  We are nearly out of money(cap space) and only have 11 players.  We need food cheap role players right now.   Only way would be to package Wiggins with future draft picks.  If the analysts are actually correct on how improved we will be, those draft pick wont carry a ton of value.
    •   Well not as many as up by the Emily-Outing area but a few.
    • Still on the fence between going with the cabin or lodge, my dad has a normal lodge and it has tons of room which is great but it also is somewhat heavy for 1 guy to load and pull it seems. I mostly fish with just 1 other person and maby 25% of the time by myself so that was why I was leaning to the cabin which also seemed to have plenty of room for 2 it seemed to me. Also from what I understand the cabin will fit in chevy crew cab box and the lodge won't? I have a 04 crew cab short box so one more incentive for the cabin if thats true.
    • Sounds perfect, thinking your guys reviews will seal the deal for me once I can see one in person again, a hyfax kit will also be on my list as I plan on pulling it behind my sportsman 570. Thanks for the review also AAmerican, it's early to be thinking ice fishing but I'm sure there's people out there like us that are a little anxious!
    • The Chippewa flowage would be a great place to start. I will be honest. Walleye are not what I have ever chosen to Target when I fish up there but the flowage is a great fishery.    Nelson lake would be another choice.
    • I have had 3 of the otter pro xt's, a cabin, lodge and resort. I still have the resort and recently purchased the cabin. I have not had many different brand portables but have fished in other brands buddies have. They are the nicest portables I have personally owned and until I try something I like more I wouldn't change from them at all. The resort is heavy and not something I like dragging far by hand especially loaded with gear and much snow on the lakes. But it has tons of room and I have fished 4 people in it before, a little tight but doable. The cabin I purchased for more hand pulling and an extra for if I have people along. They are very warm and I have fished in them down to -30 deg F. A regular buddy heater keeps them plenty warm, if it isn't to cold or the house is banked well its easily t-shirt weather inside. The resort needs a big buddy heater for colder days sometimes due to the larger size but isn't terrible with a regular. Overall very happy with them all and have been very durable. Also no dripping of water from the ceiling. Highly recommend a set of hyfax for the bottom. I had over 1000 miles pulling my old lodge and they hyfax held up great but I always pulled on snow and not across asphalt much at all.   Changes I have made to them: - added a battery box and inside LEDs  - used stainless screws on the band that hods the fabric to the tub only because I don't like the look of the rusted screws.     If you think you'll be purchasing one I would recommend stopping at a Gander Mountain if you have one near by and getting a set of hyfax since they are going out of business there is a good amount of ice gear. I found hyfax recently there for $15 a set.
  • Our Sponsors