• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jigging spoons ?

slab master

They work great this time of year and basically all year round. Some times I tip them with a full minnow but most often I just use the spoon or a chunk of gulp for scent.

I know on Rainy River I caught a lot of walleyes on spoons when the jig n minnow slowed down.

Jigging spoons tend to be a forgotten bait during the summer .... but they catch fish all year round. Lots of ways to present them, vertical jgging, under bobbers, cast and retrieved, tipped with live bait or gulp, etc. They're simple, versatile, and catch fish.

Blade baits like TO mentioned are outstanding too. I don't fish blades that often but they are one of my favorite ways to catch fish.

Hey Mike keep looking. I found a place on the way to LOW a few years back that had a whole wall display of Tinglers. I wound up getting like 40 of them for $3 a pop. Havent seen any since.

I thought I had gotten lucky and had a guy who had the mold but I never heard back from him.

Butch got me hooked on them. They also work great on Lake Superior and the St. Louis River. Heck they work every place I tried them.

I sure wish they were still made. Im getting low on them and some are getting that rusty look they are known to get.

Im thinking about making my own mold and seeing if I can make my own.

Another option is the Slender Spoons. Almost the same action and available all over the place.

Thanks Northlander. I knew if anyone knew where to find them it would be you. Haven't seen you for awhile at Hi Banks. Crappies have been on/off. But we did have some very nice days. Haven't seen much of BD either. You guys must pound the Big pond, hey? It's a great time of the year. Looking forward to the ice. Stay in touch. Hope to see you sometime for a Lg 4Meat and a few Mick's

Vertical jigging presentations are not just for winter. I have been using Salmo Chubby Darters for open water for years now in a manner most would not associate them being used, and I thought it time to tip you all off to my system.

Here is a good trick to add to your walleye bag of tricks, try the Salmo Chubby Darters for walleye and crappie in the fall. Rigging is the key here, and it is simple enough, and preaty straight forward.

I rig them on a slip float and set your depth with 2 slip knots...one above and one below the float for a controlled strike zone fishing approach. This works well over dying fall vegetation, or rocks, or even shallow flats. Simply cast, jig and retrieve.

This Slip Chubby method is also good for shallow spooky fish. Use a conventional single slip knot float rigged system for deeper water jigging. Walleye tend to fallow the Chubby out, and hit as it moves to deeper water. I think they get anxious about loosing the prey so they hit hard as it appears to be fleeing into deeper waters.

You jig them on a 12 to 9 O-clock retrieve allowing for the Chubby to fall and pause at the stop. You repeat this to get the coverage and vertical action on the Chubby. Mood will dictated action, so tinker with it tell the fish tell you what they want.

My "Slip Chubby system" works well with the tiny #3 Salmo Chubby, all the way up to the #6, just rig your slip floats accordingly.

Bait tipping is seldom needed. If you do, try tiny GULP ice maggots in RED or PINK. wink.gif

Walleye and crappie are not the only fish to fall for this rigging. I was jigging a CD 6 LOD Chubby Darter for 25# class sumo catfish just last weekend...man is that ever a HOOT on a 6' 6" med/heavy Guide Series walleye rod. Rip-Rip-jiggle...*THUD*...Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Try it once...slip them the Ol' Chubby this fall. laugh.gif

Ed I like the way you think. Out of the box.

I will have to try that. I have had real good luck with the small darters for crappies.

Yesterday we were jigging spoons and getting crappies. I should have tried slipping them the old chubby. grin

In that brush it could have been very expensive though. crazy