• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tow Behind Broadcast Spreaders

titelines

Question

All,

This could go in a few different spots, but I'll start here.

I'm in the market for a tow behind broadcast spreader. 80% of it's use will be behind the ATV in Winter, spreading salt/sand on driveway and private roads.

It will be used pretty extensively, and I (and others) will rely on it to help keep the roads drivable. I don't want stripped gears or something that's made cheaply. I'd prefer to not have to get off the machine every few minutes and shake the material to get it to spread. I don't want to take a turn and have it tip over. I take care of my stuff, so I want something that, with proper care, will handle my needs for many years.

I've done a lot of research and have looked at John Deere, Cub Cadet, Craftsman, Agri-Fab etc. I think that a 125# capacity model would suit my needs fine. I've seen some professional models for $600.00+. I'm just a guy who helps keep the roads open in Winter, so I'd like to keep the purchase to around $200.00 if possible.

Anyone have any experience / advice on what makes/models I should take a closer look at?

Thanks - Much appreciated!

3 answers to this question

You're really not going to find anything that's $200 that's going to last year to year.

I used a walk-behind version for sidewalks when I plow, and I just buy the cheap $20 versions and toss them at the end of the season.

Salt REALLY REALLY gets everywhere on these things and it's nearly impossible to get them clean, unless you do a total tear down, wash and rebuild of the gearing system each time you use them.

If your time is worth something, and when you take the cost of something that's worth enough to tear down and rebuild, you'll find that it's just as cost effective to buy the cheapest one you can find, use it til it don't work anymore, then toss it.

It's a sad state of affairs, but that's just the way it is.... I've used the all stainless steel ones too, but at the end of the season, after running 200-300 50 lb bags of ice melt through them, they're pretty much shot as well, and that's spending $350 on a push spreader.

I have an Agri-Fab pull behind spreader that I use for food plots. I've run over a ton of lime and fertilizer through it every year for 6 or 7 years and it's still hanging in there ---- it's beat all to [you know] but still going strong. I will say I am very surprised how long it's lasted.

I agree with LwnmwMan2, with salt you're not going to get them clean. I think if you get more than a couple years of good use out of it you should be happy given what you're doing with it.

Also, don't expect to fill it to capacity. It makes it tippy and stresses the hopper, etc. I have a 125# model and rarely put more than 100 lbs in it. You may want to consider a 175# model if you plan to load it up.