• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trailer turn signal problem

JScott

Question

I'm going to work on this tonight so I thought I'd ask first... When I signal a right turn in the truck, both tail lights on the boat trailer flash. The left signal works fine. Just noticed it the other night when a friend was following me home after a slow night on the St. Croix.

Any ideas or experience with this problem?

4 answers to this question

Make sure the right lens has a good ground. I'm thinking if you watch the filaments in the right side bulb both are lighting up and the left bulb is possible dimmer than the right. If all that is true it is back feeding power and using the left side for the ground. Since left works fine we can reasonably assume that that ground is functioning as intended.

I had this happen about a month ago on a utility trailer. Left ligth worked fine, but right blinker would make both lights blink.

I decided to rewire the trailer and found that the right light turn signlal wire was pinched and there for grounding out and causing the other light to go on at the same time.

This also happened with my new boat trailer last year...when they put the boat guides on they installed them over the brake wire and pinched it and i had to rewire that also.

As well as muleshack this is what happened to me. I rewired and found the same. I put new LED lights on and have had no problems with the new wiring and lights. From the post stickied on this page, I soldered all the wires together and I'm really glad I took the extra time to do it.