• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance XOG

Nate McVey

Question

I'm hoping some of you may be able to give me some information on this unit. I've been doing some research and have read some really great reviews on this GPS, with only one main issue that seems to be the problem, battery life. I'm looking for a unit that will allow me to use it in the truck for navigating the city and also in the boat/wheeler/snowmobile for ice fishing. I would not be using it as a hand held unit for hunting or backpacking as i have an older Garmin that works great for that.

I guess my question is, can it be used as easy between boat and truck as the reviews say? Does it compare to a TomTom type of auto navigation system? Should I just buy and H2O and then get a different system for the truck? Amy info. will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

7 answers to this question

Save the money and get XOG!! I love mine, yes it can go between anything with a cig lighter plug and a surface to suction mount on. (or other mount your may use, the one that come wit it is suction)

2 weeks ago I took it on Mille lacs because I was having trouble with the power switch on my x104c. Sure enough, the x104 went down, popped the lakemaster chip into XOG (zog we call it) and we were back in business. (used the sonar on the trolling motor for depth, xog for position on structure)

It mapquests like anything I've seen, haven't used tom tom, but talks you through your turns, re routes quickly on detours, has all the gas stations, points of interest etc. Transferred my other Lowrance way points to it, use it in the woods, it's great for everything except the battery life. Wish you could put in alkaline s when needed but ........ I'm going to add the plug to my 4 wheeler and then I'll be ok, can charge it while driving if needed.

It's way cheaper than buying the h2o or ifinder and adding the street nav software and works every bit as good for all uses.

Good luck and have fun!

Great unit for the money. I just bought a new one for $180. The turn by turn navigating while in the car was dead on. I plan on using it ice fishing this winter. I have played with it with the lakemaster chip in and it get the same info I get from my lowrance 520 in the boat. It has two downsides. The first is very short battery life. Use the 12 volt plug and you are good to go. Second, it is only water resistant. Not waterproof.

Got my XOG from ProFishingSupply. Couldn't be happier. Turn by turn came in handy last week when going to a wedding and getting through some road construction.

Loaded up my computer mapping chip and I'm ready for hardwater to be here!

If you want to see mine shiner, we could arrange a time to try it out.

Thanks for the responses everybody, I ended up getting one on Friday from Cabela's. For the money, I just didn't see any way I could pass it up. I put it in the truck on Friday, typed in a buddies address and showed up within a foot of his driveway. The turn by turn is great and I will be getting a Lakemaster chip when I get back from vacation in a couple weeks. Can't wait to try it on the water.

I went through the exact same decision back in February or March between the XOG and the H20. Ended up with the XOG and couldn't be happier. For the money, you can't beat it. I think I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $250ish, so if you can pick one up for $180 even better.