• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Auto Trans made today ?

I usually get and run cars after they hit the 100K mark. I know that it is allways a gamble to do this as far as maintenence cost. The biggest risk i've found is the auto trans as it can cost big time if it goes. I usually get stick shifts but wife wants auto only So Im wondering what you guys like Aerjer and shack bash or others that work in the industry have seen (or more of have not had problems with in the shop) for the most bulletproof over the years.

There are too many variables for this, be more specific on the type of car,(small sedan, large car, domestic, foriegn, truck, diesel, Ford, Chevy, ect..) and we will try to pin down some good, and not so good tranny's in those type of vehicles.

eyes, thanks, typical 5 seat family sedan 4 or 6 cyl american. I like the japanese cars for durability but they have tranny issues, especially the 6 cyl. and if you've ever seen the price of a replacement tranny its enough to make a grown man cry. I really like the Buick lacrosse with the 3800 in it but have heard about problems with some GM pcm or ecm selenoid that is known to fail and needs to have big labor job of pulling trans. $50 part $600+ labor no thanks.

Iron cowbow, I think you are looking to far into this. If you dig hard enough you will find problems with every model. Auto trans have come along ways, and if you need to repair a manual trans it sometimes will cost more then an auto trans. 100k on most auto tranny's now days is nothing, if they were taken care of during the first 100k. I dont know what years your looking for but if you find a Ford 500, or a 03 or newer Taurus, a Toyoya Camery, many differnt GM models will suit you just fine. I would say the majority of cars from 03 on up are pretty dependable now days with 100k being just broke in, most will last you well over 250k if maintained correctly!

Like you have pointed out, $600-2000 repairs now days really isnt uncomon if something big happens to a vehicle, but that can happen to any model. I would say take your wife shopping, let her pick the model of car she really wants, have it inspected and looked over by a 3rd party, then before buying it, ask us if the model and year is comon for major repairs.

I think no matter what model anyone will recommend to you there are hundreds of people out there that has had many problems with it. I would be more concerned with how well the car was taken care of, more then what model it was. Good luck, sorry for being so general! I am sure others will chime in with what cars they had luck with, and what cars they didnt, but them are just individual findings!

I'd agree on the 500/Taurus (the 3.0 DOHC seems to be a pretty good engine so far, the new Taurus's have a 3.5 DOHC now) and the Camry (Although the 4 cylinder may be enough for you I would get the v-6 personally). I'd still stay away from the gm line-up. Transmissions are not necessarily the issue, Its just all the other nickle and dime stuff that will leave you broke in the end.