• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wiring a Fish house suggestions?

Trytti

Question

My buddy and I bought a 6.5'X 16' wheel shack and it is just the frame and shell. They framed it up with 2" square tubing and has metal siding. We want to wire it up to run off a battery for sure and also possibly a generator. Any suggestions as far as what type of wiring, connections,electrical components a person should use? We will probably have a couple lights that run off a regular light switch. Possibly an outlet or two for TV, radio, camera etc... We are also going to have a couple gas lights and heater running off an Lp tank.

We are going to rough it out before we put in the insulation and paneling etc.. so any tips or tricks or do's or don'ts would be greatly appreciated. I have very little experience with wiring other than on boat trailers so you may have to "dumb" it down so I know what you are talking about... Ha ha!

Thanks!

ET

3 answers to this question

My cousin did his hunting shack for 12 volt and just ran everything on #14 wire and regular switches. You can get 12 volt bulbs to screw into the ceramic light sockets. He used on old car radio for tunes, even had it on a timer so we could go to sleep and not drain the battery. Be sure to build in a fuse panel and put in fuses. The gas lights make an awful lot of noise. I don't think you could put in outlets for a TV or anything as everything you use will have to be 12 volt.

He even used a turkey cooker and a 15 gallon drum with a RV pump and we had a shower and water to clean dishes with. Fan on the wood stove - it was great.