• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

12/24

bucketmouth64

Question

I want to look for a new trolling motor for next year. Currently, I use a 12 volt motor, but I am considering a 24 volt. I only have two batteries (starting/trolling) that fit in the compartment so adding a third is out of the question. Has anyone parallelled those two so that you can use a 24 volt trolling motor? Would that not be a good set up? Only have a one bank charger, again compartment is small. So my other question is if I can hook the two batteries up and only one charger how does the charging work? Would I need to charge each battery individually or would a one bank charge both just taking more time to do it. All of this would be moot if I shouldn't parallel the batteries, then I will go with the 12 volt motor.

8 answers to this question

I don't think you'd want to go parallel off your starting battery - you run the risks of the trolling motor draining your starting battery, and of interference with your electronics. You could do it, I just don't think it'd be a very good idea.

Also, when you parallel batteries you want them to be the same age, type and capacity. Sounds like you'd be combining a starting battery and a deep cycle battery? I think that'd be very hard on your starting battery.

If you hook the batteries in parallel you only have 12v.

+ to +, - to -.

You need to hook them in series to get 24v.

+ of bat. 1 to the trolling motor, a jumper from - of bat. 1 to + of bat.2 and the - of bat 2 to the trolling motor.

If you can find the space for the third batter and can afford it, go 24 volt. You can never have too much power. If you can't fit in the third battery, then just go 12. You don't want to risk running low on that starter battery.

Quote:
If you hook up your batteries in series, 24v will go to everything, motor, lights, electronics...

Go with the biggest 12v you can or find room for another battery.

One can draw 12V from a 24V system by connecting the 12V items to just one battery.

However, I agree with the suggestions of not using the starting battery in the trolling motor circuit. So, if you can't fit that 3rd battery, stick with a 12V trolling motor.

I run my entire boat, both 24V and 12V off of 2 Group 29 Interstate Deep Cycle Battery's.

You can safely run both 12v and 24v accessories with a dual battery setup.

I'm extremely happy with this setup and have had no starting issues even though I'm using Deep cycles.