• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Merc Squeak

Ralph Wiggum

I've got a '93 Merc 60 horse. This is not a constant issue, but sometimes it starts making a squeaking noise. Doesn't matter if it is in F, N, or R. Usually starts at low RPMs but continues as I rev it up. It sounds a lot like a squealing belt on a car. Could there be a belt in this thing? Other than that, it starts and runs like a top, so I am not too concerned about it, but if I could make it stop, I'd be happy!

We had a bunch of squeaking on a 25hp last night. Switched out the prop and she purred like a kitten.

Something to look at I guess......

It's coming from under the cowl and it does it in neutral, so I am pretty sure it's not the prop.

I'll dig a little deeper next time I have it out.

Leaking bypass gasket on intake had the same issures earlier this year it did sound like a squeeky belt . took my motor in boat mechanic knew right away it must be a common thing on merks and mariners.

Sounds like a possibility. Was it somewhat intermittent? How important is it to get it taken care of?