Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt Breuer

Upland Hunting Montana....

4 posts in this topic

Looking for some information on upland hunting in Montana. Want to plan a trip over exclusively for sharp-tails and huns...

Can anyone give out any information on where to go, general area, not hot spots. Any good ranch style places to stay with a buddy and a few dogs? Bird numbers? Etc...

Any info is much appreciated!

Hi Matt-

I just heard from a friend who went after prarie chx that eastern MT has had good numbers of sharpies and huns this year as does parts of ND.

We hunted out of Wolf Point MT a few years back with good success for sharps but needed a reservation license to hunt the Ft.Peck reservation.

I Just looked and a reservation license cost 225 to shoot either grouse or pheasant but a montana license only cost 130 for both. It was blistering hot in the daytime so we hunted early and quit before the sun got bad and then went back out in the evening.

redhooks

Hi Matt,

Bird numbers are looking good all over eastern Montana. Locate Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks on the web, and study the Block Management programs. You can find all the folks who allow hunters on thier lands, free of charge.

Sometimes you have to sign up, but most times you walk up and register and hunt. LOTS of ranchers participate, because the state pays them per head, and the money comes from non-resident hunting fees, so you are already paying for it, so you might as well utilize the resource.

Once you get the regional booklets, you can contact the landowners directly (most of the time) and get the bird info you seek. Let them know you are willing to pop all the coyotes you see, and you will have one foot in the door right there!

Good Hunting!!!

Matt,

The guys are right on Northeast MT being the best bet this year. Other areas have had a wet spring/early summer and may be down a bit. The Block Management Plan is a great system which MN would benefit by copying. Contact Montana Fish and Wildlife HSOforum to get the details and where to get specific site maps. It's worth the effort. I have found that Hutterite Colonies are very welcoming and productive to hunt.

Two things to be aware of for visitors to MT are Snakes and Gumbo when it rains. If you bring dogs, the trip can turn ugly very quickly, I always have Benedryl and the no. for the nearest vet on hand. Once we have a hard freeze, I'll relax. And if you hunt on gravel and unimproved roads be aware of the greasy shale and clay mud that can strand the toughest 4x4s when a shower hits. I was caught out in a field once and even after scraping the boots, I was 5 inches taller and each foot weighed 20 lb when I got back to the truck, only to find that it had slid 6 feet down an incline where I had parked it.

But then, it doesn't rain much here really.