• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

waterfalls in the Duluth area

mmeyer

My family and I will be spending the weekend in Duluth. I know there are a bunch of waterfalls in the area but I don't know where. Can someone point in the direction of some good ones and any other good photo ops.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

Gooseberry Falls State Park is one we like.

Located bout 35-40 miles North of Duluth on 61, nice off highway parking lot, short hike, you would be facing West-Northwest I believe when viewing the falls.

Dan

I don't recall any waterfalls, but you can't visit Duluth without going thru Jay Cooke State Park. The St. Louis River runs thru it and you should be able to get some awesome shots from the swinging bridge. It's one of my favorite parks. It's located about 20 miles S. of Duluth on Hwy. 210. You can take Old Hwy. 23 south out of Duluth or take 35 South to Carlton and then on to 210.

About 20 miles south of Superior, WI on Wisc. Hwy 35 is Big Manitou Falls at Pattison State Park. This is the tallest water falls in Wisconsin and is worth the drive to see it.

I like both Gooseberry and Pattison. The Split Rock River hiking trail also parallels some really nice cascades. North Shore rivers depend on rains for good flow this time of year. And there was some nice rain earlier in the week up there.

I've found that some of the best pictures of falls can actually be made at medium or low flows. Just a different eye is required to make good photos.

Pattison is the most impressive of the bunch, though a bit of a challenge to photograph well. Long exposures of large full waterfalls aimed at creating cottony water can be chancy in some cases because, even on a calm day, the force of the high water creates its own air currents, which keeps the surrounding foliage moving enough to blur it. That's one reason I like the lower flows.

As others have mentioned, there are many good waterfalls all along the north shore. Not sure how far you are interested in driving, but my some of my favorites are Gooseberry Falls, Caribou river, Tettegouche State Park, Cascade River State Park and Grand Portage State Park. George Crosby Manitou State park has some awesome cascades if you are up for a good hike. I just got back from a camping trip up the north shore and will be posting some of the shots, but since we are talking waterfalls, here is a shot I got from Grand Portage. I don't have the settings handy, but it was taken with the Canon 30D, Tamron 17-50 and a sturdy tripod. Stopped way down with a couple pairs of sunglasses on the lens (ND filters). Shutter speeds were probably in the 1-2 second range.

IMG_621632.jpg

Mike,

I lived in Duluth for the better part of a decade and there are a great number of opportunities right in town. I'd go early morning to get low SS and get that dreamy water effect as the sun comes up in the east over Lake Superior. I'll post a couple of examples I happen to have on my laptop from Congdon Park which is located right in town over in the East end (approximately around the 32nd Ave E block if I remember correctly, take Superior St. to the East). Chester Bowl and Lester Park (especially the west branch of the Lester River) will also offer great opportunities in town. Chester Bowl is on Skyline Parkway not far from UMD and Lester Park is around the 60th Ave E block (once again follow Superior St. East - you'll see the sign).

mg2375copyrs3.jpg

mg2359copybt1.jpg

I don't recall any waterfalls, but you can't visit Duluth without going thru Jay Cooke State Park. The St. Louis River runs thru it and you should be able to get some awesome shots from the swinging bridge. It's one of my favorite parks. It's located about 20 miles S. of Duluth on Hwy. 210. You can take Old Hwy. 23 south out of Duluth or

take 35 South to Carlton and then on to 210.

you can take the scenic route and turn off at the Finlayson/Askov exit (Banning Junction) and take 23 that way up to JC State Park. That's if you're heading up from Hutchinson. I agree, it's a beautiful place.

A couple others to check out are Twin Falls ( it's a hike to get back there) and I think the Temperance River has some great scenery also.

you can take the scenic route and turn off at the Finlayson/Askov exit (Banning Junction) and take 23 that way up to JC State Park. That's if you're heading up from Hutchinson. I agree, it's a beautiful place.

That's what I was thinking later. It would be a good way to come into Duluth. Shortly after turning off 35 (Banning Junction), you'll go by Banning State Park. It doesn't amount to a whole lot, but it has some pretty spots, especially with all the birch trees amongst the colors.

Mike, I'm starting to envy you.

I'd recommend checking out Seven Bridges Road on the east end. It's on the "back" side of Hawk's Ridge. Take Superior Street to Occidental Road. Occidental turns into Seven Bridges Road. There are a few waterfalls and some very scenic overlooks. It's somewhat of a hidden/local road.

46°50'20.12"N

92° 0'27.31"W

And Seven Bridges Road turns into Skyline and brings you right up to Hawk's Ridge, if that's something of interest to you.

46°50'48.76"N

92° 1'54.77"W