Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coach1310

Best Area to buy hunting land......

17 posts in this topic

in case I win the Powerball tonight!!! What areas do some of you feel is the best for my criteria to buy hunting land....North of Brainerd. I would ideally want some mature timber..I love hunting mature hardwoods....a quieter area, for a little serenity, but within a reasonable distance to some decent fishing to encourage more use in the summer. If this was your criteria, where would you be looking to buy?

I would second SE MN bluff country. Try filmore or houston counties. lots of corn fed deer, many big ones, turkey all around, and browns, rainbows, brookies... can't beat that. IMO

Also depends what you want to hunt. If I were a bird hunter I would go for along the Western border. If I wanted to fish a ton I'd probably look up around the Falls.

For deer I would look around Camp Ripley. I think there is a little more cover up there for the deer to grow bigger.

SE MN is good but as a bowhunter I hated battling the winds throughout the bluffs while trying to hunt.

But I'd be happy if I could own a contiguous 500 acres. I'm sure I'd have at least one shooter to hunt every year.

Youngie22,

You hit it right on the head. I already have my spot picked out if numbers hit for me tonight.

You better win the lottery if you are concidering SE Mn.

I've hunted down there for 22 years and looked at buying property over the same time period.

All I can say is " get your check book out"

Good Luck.

Mike

Yeah, I hunt Houston and I was told the going rate was around $9,000 per acre. I could be wrong, but for a city kid, that's a bit much.

I appreciate the input. I would love to own some land somewhere NORTH of Brainerd. Anyone have thoughts for Northern MN. Thanks.... I guess I'll have to $200 million instead of $176!!

I have always like NE MN from Two Harbors north to Grand Marais. You can get into some nice swamp bucks up there is the fishing is second to none.

2nd would be Red Lake and Lake of the Woods area. Decent deer hunting and I don't need to mention anything about the fishing. grin

I'd look at a nice chunk along the south shore of L.O.W.! Big bucks,bear, ducks,geese,grouse,and year around world class walleyes! Then get yourself a 27 foot SportCraft to drive up to the Island you just bought in the NorthWest Angle!! Good Luck laugh

Land down around Houston, depending on where it is and who is selling it, but I would wooded land goes for between $3500-$5000 an acre. The only problem we have down here is, the few older men who don't want any hunters on their land or near there land so they buy up valleys. We are also running into the thing where farmers are leasing there land out for big time $ to hunters from all over the state. If you want great hunting land, this is the place to go...Bill Jordan and RealTree come here about every year it sounds to film a show around the Houston area.

Walleye #1

Buy it where you can get it for the least amount of money, then make it into the land of your dreams.

Me, I'd take 160 acres of slough and rough ground in western MN. I'd plant CRP, trees, and food plots. In 10 years it would be perfect.

anywhere in the big empty N of hiway 2 between Red Lake and the the Range

fewer nieghbors of the Homo Sapien variety

Try looking in the Cass lake/Blackduck area. I have a place south of Blackduck along the Scenic Highway. VERY quiet. Lots of great lakes big and small to choose from. Where my place is the ground tends to be lower with pockets of timber, but that's just my little area. If you're serious about buying, contact an agent that specializes in land and cabins.