• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Squirrels in the backyard

Loos15

Hi everyone, I'm not a hunter but I do have a hunting related question...but not quite sure it belongs in this thread...

But is it legal in the state of MN to shoot pesky squirrels in your backyard with an air pellet gun? If not...is there anyway I can make it legal?

thanks!

Yes, with a small game license providing you are not in an urban area that prohibits it. Check with your local laws. I got one of the pesky bas***ds a week ago at 37 yards with my bow.(ground shot) Double lunger. I'd show a pic but probably not in good taste. They do BBQ up pretty good.

My grandparents have a wonderful garden which the squirrels likes to pillage. Don't suppose there's a "season" for them? We went to get the license and my grandpa shot 2 today with an air powered pellet hand gun lol. He's quite the marksmen back in his days. Also any suggestions on a more powerful bb/pellet gun that's legal and relatively cheap?

Here in Duluth it is illegal to shoot any fire arm with in the city limits including bb and pellet guns... But at Gander you can buy ammo that you can shoot through your .22 it is called .22 Super Colibri. Not recommend for using in a rifle, they are made for hand guns. They shoot a 20 grain bullet using only the primer and no gunpowder 500 fps enough to take down squirrels. I do shoot them through my .22 rifle but check the barrel after every shot to make sure the bullet has cleared. Very quiet, even less noise then a pellet gun.

FWIW, shooting or trapping will have no true effect on getting rid of the squirrels. If you have any right now, that is due to your yard having a carrying capacity of "x" squirrels. Kill one, another just moves in. It will keep happening.

My Mom and Dad removed or killed 60 squirrels form their inner city St. Paul yard a few years ago. They were never suirrel free, but also never had more than 6 in the yard at one time... so... maybe just maybe my Mom's 27 (yes!... 27!!!) bird feeders had something to do with it! ha! smile

Good luck you though. I know a store that will trade a case of beer for 3 fresh squirrels smile no kidding, hehe.

me and my buddies shot them with broad tip blow darts.Yes I said blow darts from a blow gun very accurate and very silent.Then we cook em on the grill.Very tasty.If you truly want to rid your yard of them get rid of bird feeders.Take away the food source the squirrels go to where there is easy food.

Remember that they do have a season. They are under the small game laws and are a regulated species - so you need a small game license. You can not simply kill as many as you want. Daily limit is 7 and possesion is 14. That seems like plenty, but also it would be illegal to simply kill them and throw them in the trash. That is wanton waste. Make sure you are using them for something.

Rui, make sure you make a call to you local cops and ask them about the BB gun. I was going to do that with crows and they told me that even a BB gun is discharging a firearm in the city limits and against the law. Check and make sure you aren't breaking the law first. Then make sure you follow the regs for hunting and you are good. But I'm pretty sure where you live, you can't shoot a firearm.

If you live in just about any city you are at risk if you shoot a gun. Illegal in Saint Paul for sure, not sure about other cities but suspect that it is. One point for sure is that you have to be sure of your background. Make sure that even if the shot/pellet penetrates the squirrel that it won't damage something else.

Live trap and a trash can full of water is the best way to deal with squirels inside the city limits. Birdsead in the trap, squirrell in the trap, trap in the can.

Works for me. No guns, no slingshots, no arrows to worry about in a city setting. That means no police.

Here is one for you to try.

~ squirrels,cut into serving pieces, amount depends upon how many you can eat

~ olive oil

~ 1 large onion

~ 1 large green bell pepper

~ 2 cloves garlic

~ Cajun spice (Tony Chachere's recommended)

~ 2 tbsp Tabasco sauce

~ 4 tbsp ketchup

~ 1 tbsp Gumbo File seasoning

~ cooked rice

In a deep pot or dutch oven, heat some olive oil.

Season the squirrel on all sides with the Cajun seasoning. Add to the hot oil and turn to brown on all sides. Continue to cook until done.

Place the onion, bell pepper and garlic in a blender. Cover with water and chop. Add to the pot when squirrel is done.

Sprinkle the added vegetables with Cajun seasoning.

Add the Tabasco sauce, ketchup and the Gumbo File. Stir to mix well.

Serve over the cooked rice.

Enjoy.