• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scent Products?

badfish

What is everyone's favorite or most trusted scent killing product? I personally have been using scent killer so far this year and seem to like it. But there are sooo many on the market today you got scent killer, primos, scent shield, dead down wind and all the hunters specialties products. With so many choices its hard for me to pick just one so I'm curious as to what everyone else is using.

I consistantly use hunters specialties scent away fresh dirt spray. That in combination with the fresh earth scent wafers, and some fox urine make it very hard for deer to smell ya. I had a doe directly downwind of my this year already at 30yds. She walked right up to my tree where I sprayed some fox urine at the base, and then proceeded to mill around my stand for the next 10 mins. It was awesome! She never had a clue-then I whacked her. I grilled today and it was probably the most tender venison Ive ever had. That was my first early season deer ever.

I use scent killer and some HS, but when it really comes down to it i think there all the same just different names. Really you dont have a clue if there working or not, i know people who smoke, chew, and pee around there stand and still kill bucks so its hard to wonder sometimes do they really work or did the people at these companies make bank off of use worrying about human scent??? I will still use scents and what not but it really makes you think

Camo washed in Dead Down Wind laundry detergent, hunters specialties earth scented human odor elimintaing spray, earth scent wafer in tote with camo. Has proven successful last two years as i have never been sniffed out, or located by one.

Since I hunt a funnel at a field edge most of the time, the earth scent is a perfect cover scent.

I used to wonder if they worked or not. Now there is isnt a question in my mind that they do. I really dont even pay attention to the wind now. Well I do when there is a dramatic change in weather, but ive had deer on all sides of me and consistantly down wind of me and never smell me. Before I started using the stuff, I had deer wind me all the time even with taking as many precautions as I could.

I use the Xtreme Scent products...It's proven to work very well for me...I personally don't feel it is a gimmick, as I've had game pass by me like I wasn't even there. No matter what the wind holds. I think if you just use just the field spay stuff and only that, your only covering up yourself for a while. I believe it starts all the way back when you shower that morning...So I try to take as many precautions to stay scent free with everything.

I sweat a lot, so I am kinda obsessed with spraying myself down continuously while in the field too. I haven't strayed away from this manufacture. If it fails, well then maybe. But for now, I'm sticking with what works for me.

I've got a buddy of mine that swears up and down over Carbon Blast. I think it is more on the spendier side. But that is all I know about it

I know what your saying when someone people don't use anything and they harvest deer year after year. Take my father for example, back when he used to smoke cigarettes like they were going out of style, he smoked on the stand constantly, and he always harvested deer that walked right up to him. Could it be the deer were curious of the fowl smell? I would imagine so.

He doesn't smoke any more, but when he watches me go through all these precautions of trying to stay scent free, and remarks that I'm only throwing my money away and reminds me of all the deer he has taken without it.

I was covered in scent killer when I shot my buck. I also had washed my clothes in scent killer laundry detergent. The wind was blowing towards him. He smelled me, because he snorted at me. I happen to be in a area frequented by people so I think he was not as alarmed as he would have been otherwise some place else. But as he walked to me he was VERY nervous.

That same morning before the woods were light enough to see anything I had a deer come in on the downwind side of me and he spooked. Never saw it.

I honestly think that if you are going to use scent killer fine. You still have to play the wind and be up in a tree to get your scent away from your immediate hunting area. I am sure it helps but it doesn't get everything. I will still use it for just that extra bit of confidence. Good Luck!

Ryan

hunting24/7 I actually read an article where they did a test with smoke, and the guy lit up a big cigar and the deer didn't seem to mind, the were walking right down wind of him.

I might have to switch it up this year, and have my celebration Swisher first... laugh

I use Scent Killer body wash, clothes wash and deoderant. So far this year I've had about 40 deer within 20 to 2 yards. Half bucks half does. Not busted once on smell. I did get silouetted once by a doe when I was standing up on a ladder stand. Coming straight at me and I was up cuz there was a buck 15 yards behind her. Usually I just stay seated. But I had to reposition. After a stare down she bolted. I'm pretty anal about NO smell and I'm sure I don't get rid of it all but the stuff sure helps me. Hunting clothes stay in scent lok bags also. I usually spay scent killer on my pants also for the walk in.