Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WinterHaven

IceGator question?

11 posts in this topic

I am leaning towards getting one of these this year and wanted to know from the people who have used one of these or actually owns one exactly what you think of them. Looking for input on the satisfaction or dissatisfaction of these Augers. Plus I heard that the company was thinking of a full shield to cover the batteries for really cold weather as well as plugs to cover up the charging jacks so ice, snow and dirt does not get inside of them. Does anyone know if these changes were made for this years model? Plus there is no where on their site that gives the price of the 6" model if anyone knows that as well.

If this auger holds up to all the hype, then this would be an ideal auger for my use.

Boy no replies on this subject? You telling me that noone has used or own this auger. This is suppose to be the new upcoming trend in the Auger market.

Sometimes a little searching goes a long ways

just go to the search bar and type in ice gator

To tel you the truth I dont know anyone who has actually ran one of these. I have seen them at shows but never ran one.

I hear they have some rigged with Nils shafts and blades. That thing should cut great.

As fra as the improvements do a [YouNeedAuthorization] search for Ice Gator and see if they have a web site with that info.

Saw these guys at last years Minneapolis ice fishing show. The thing looked interesting. They said they were working on a few additions to make it more powerful for perhaps a larger diameter auger, but had no date for release on that. The models we saw had 6" augers on them. We were skeptical about the "actual" battery performance in extreme cold and THICK ice conditions. Especially if you like to move around and drill a lot of holes. We even tried to get them to allow us (in conjunction with a contest even in the Duluth area) to test one out. They thanked us for the interest, but said they had already testes out there. Oh well. I'll stick to my gas powered augers.

I'd definitely go to a winter products show and talk to the inventors 1st. Good Luck. Let us know your thoughts if you do get one.

How heavy are they? Are they something designed for the run and gunner or more for the perm?

I have the Icegator 8" with both sets of batteries It has been fantastic I drilled all the holes I wanted last year and others used it too! I used the 12 ah batteries mostly and never ran out of power Last year I drilled down to 42" of ice and still worked fantastic and customer service is greaT! Even the company president called and asked how it was working Greg is an avid icefisherman and has created the best icefishing tool since the spud Talk about quiet! it is Plus no mess with gas / oil your wife wont complain about the smell in her car or in the house Instant start no priming warm up ect you will actually have your hole drilled before anyone with a gas on a cold start up charging is simple now they inverted the batteries and added a 24 volt charge port to them Mine I hooked individual chargers(kinda like a vex charger) to each battery but had to dissasemble but thats only 2 thunb screws to do it I never had a problem this year they are making a 12 volt model with clips too that is a bit lighter as you can use your 12 volt battery in your house / atv ect Like I said best investment Ive made and works fantastic in the rugged cold weather we get in Northern Maine

Greg e-mailed me yesterday and told me that this years model they have made a couple of design changes to it.

1. The top will cover the batteries a little more.

2. The batteries will be mounted upright instead of upside down to improve performance.

3. There will be covers to protect the charging jacks so no ice, snow or dirt will get inside of it.

I am definitely going to buy one of these for this ice fishing season.

I used one last year with my 8" Nils auger. Worked like a charm. One other feature not mentioned above is the reverse feature. After you've drilled your hole, put it in reverse and flush most of the ice down the hole. And of course, no fumes in the perm. Nice invention.