• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cost of Recreational Land?

It all depends on type, size and location. In general I find that: Wooded/Tillable is more expensive than wetlands. Land is more expensive in more populated areas. Generally the price per acre goes down, the larger the size of the property. Also buildings, ponds, other unique featues and nearby attractions all add cost. Ex: More $ if it borders public land, or if there are many or well known lakes in the area, etc.

Hope this helps a bit. In my area (Pine County). I know of 60 acres of mixed land that is going for $100k. I know of 20 acres with a "Deer Shack" on it for $40k that also borders county land.

Pine County has always been about the lowest priced land in the state,it is also considered one of the least money counties.I had 2 different properties there before 1980 or so it was real cheap then the lakeshore & land rush brought it up FAST,but it never really increased as farm land has.Farm land now is 2500-3000 acre,more arerage closer to 2000-2500.st cloud to willmar 8-10 acres w/trees plan on at least 100,000

I believe the land rush has left little small acreage so the price skyrocketed

I agree that Pine Co. land is lower priced than many, but it does offer an in and there can be good hunting, depending on where/what/etc. I bought land there as I could afford more, I am hoping that it is a stepping stone to something better, and in the mean time I can hunt it. I turkey hunt down in SE MN and there the land is $3500+ per acre on average. Based on my experience only. Pine Co. I say $1000 an acre is common. The land type is very differnt though. Rich farm land vs swampy land.

As previously said, the larger the parcel the lower the per acre price. Last year in Otter Tail county a 28 acre parcel with about 6 acres open, 10 acres swamp and the rest woods sold for $2800 per acre. A good 80 acre parcel with a mix of tillable and woods goes for 2000 per acre.

$1000-2000 is such a wide range nowadays. The difference in quality may mean the difference between $1600-1800 an acre. Before the market bust, almost any dry land was going for $2000/ac and if it was tillable, expect $3000/ac.

Some of those have mellowed out, but expect to pay premium prices for tillable land with woods and any piece of land in the SE corner of the state.

Originally Posted By: fishermatt
A good 80 acre parcel with a mix of tillable and woods goes for 2000 per acre.

Do you know about what the BOTTOM Dollar (per acre) would be in Ottetail County?

say for 100 acres?

Thanks

I was lookin in OT CO the last few yrs Way too high,I was lookin for 40 or less that was 80-100 thou I'm now lookin in Todd & Wadena cos. cheapest I found 38 tho for 35 acres,lower land few trees.

My guress in OT 1500.00 a acre may be a deal.

The cheapest thing I think you can find would be lower ground that would be wet part of the year. As long as it isn't too wet you should have something to hunt on in the Fall for deer.

My dad and I were looking together 2 years ago. We made an offer on an 80 up in OT county of over $1000/acre but we got turned down. About 1 month later we bought a 120 of river bottom for $700/acre.

Another point is that the taxes can vary quite a bit based on what the land is zoned as!!!

Like has been mentioned, there are many variables...access, road frontage, area...

In Ottertail County...there are some nice tracts of land there with swamps, hardwoods, etc... I would say $1500 to $2000 an acre, depending on all the variables. It seems to be a more popular area than it was 10 years ago.

I know when researching properties and prices for a cabin for my folks, the Ottertail area used to be about the best value out there, without getting way up in the sticks, but now that doesn't seem to be the case.

Land values in OT county spiked between 2002 and 2006. Lakeshore values on most lakes went up by 100% during this time. Deer hunting land has gone way up too. Anything decent is going for $2000 per acre. How much is a deer really worth?

As others have mentioned, there are many variables that cause the price to be higher or lower but if you're really serious about buying some recreational land you need to

1) settle on area/county

2) check out the properties for sale, the prices, the variables like buildings/tilable acres/easements/income/access/number of acres, etc so when a good deal comes along you can recognize it and make an offer.

3) Before you make an offer, go to the courthouse/register of deeds and look at all the sales in the last six months, its public information. Realtors also have books that will list all sales. Remember, the listing price is normally always higher than the selling price but by doing some research you can find out what land is going for in that area.

Another thing you can do, and it worked for me, is contact all the realtors in that area and tell them what you are looking for, so when a place comes up for sale, they can call you.

Good luck!! Hunting land is expensive but worth the price!!!

This past summer I went to a land auction for land in southeast Morrison county (Hillman area). Some of the land was tillable, some pasture and some swamp and some wooded. Some had road access and some was accessible via easement through other property. I think there was around 1300 acres in several locations. The land was broken up into 80 to 160 acre parcels. The high tillable land on a road went for $1700 an acre. The pasture/recreational land (wooded with some swamp) located 1/2 to 1 mile off a road went for $500 to $700 and acre for the 160 acre parcles.

North of Detroit Lakes there are two parcels for sale, 40 acres @ $1,100 per acre, the other is 172 Acres @ $1,150.

I haven't seen the first but the second one is pretty cool with the Sand Hill river running thru it,this one also has some CRP and food plots.

North of Detroit Lakes there are two parcels for sale, 40 acres @ $1,100 per acre, the other is 172 Acres @ $1,150.

I haven't seen the first but the second one is pretty cool with the Sand Hill river running thru it,this one also has some CRP and food plots.

Do you know the exact location?

Who is the realtor ?

I am on the second one, but I don't know what I can post as far as my company or if I can put my email on this site or not.

Let me know what I can post. Thanks

What is the Realators Name OR Isn't there one?

my email is musky101 AT hotmail DOT com

I paid 1750 an acre in St. Louis County for a 40. I was willing to pay a premium because the land was all high ground, had direct road access, had electricity in, bordered a river, had a small hunting shack, and was landlocking public land (essentially like having more of my own land).

If you want to buy landlocked land or buy 1/4 - 1/2 swamp land, you can definitely get the price down, but premium pieces fetch top dollar and go quickly. I don't know how many times I drove out to look at 'good hunting land' that turned out to be a swamp. G*o*o*gle earth can help you check things out before leaving your door step, but letting realty companies know that you will refuse to do any business with them if they mislead you even once helps more.

I paid 1750 an acre in St. Louis County for a 40. I was willing to pay a premium because the land was all high ground, had direct road access, had electricity in, bordered a river, had a small hunting shack, and was landlocking public land (essentially like having more of my own land).

If you want to buy landlocked land or buy 1/4 - 1/2 swamp land, you can definitely get the price down, but premium pieces fetch top dollar and go quickly. I don't know how many times I drove out to look at 'good hunting land' that turned out to be a swamp. G*o*o*gle earth can help you check things out before leaving your door step, but letting realty companies know that you will refuse to do any business with them if they mislead you even once helps more.

Some of those swamps can hold some big bucks so they might have been right.