• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weather aps for cell phones

Scott K

Question

17 answers to this question

The best I've tried is MyCast.

It has some nice features and I think the best resolution of Live Radar.

I tried a few others and always came back to MyCast

Ya I liked how Mycast is as well, I had a free month and liked it, but before paying for it, I thought I would check to see what others like, and have been using.

On demand? never heard of it! I will have to check it out! Or is this just a BlackBerry thing?

I have also checked out Accuweather, I liked Mycast alot better. JMO

Are there any others?

I use accuweather and m.weather.gov (noaa), with the my crackberry.

I have not tried Mycast. Isn't mycast created by Paul Douglas?

If you are looking for BB specific, go tho the BB HSOforum, they have tons of free downloads of all sorts of different apps.

If your looking for apps for a different brand, check the mfg's web site, and or [YouNeedAuthorization].

I got the weather channel for mine and I like it a lot. I have tried all of them and Accuweather was a close second, but the weather channel has the best set up that I have seen. Its pretty easy to use too.

I had MyCast on my previous phone. With it came a monthly charge, but it was fairly good with radar and forecasts.

Now I just use the internet browser on my phone to pull up mobile weather websites.

My app list is BlackBerry related, but I have WeatherBug, Wall Street Journal Online, Viigo (RSS feeds for anything and everything), NFL and Nascar apps (Sprint only), ESPN, Googl package (maps, mail, etc), CNBC.

What weather ap do you guys use on your cell? Also what other cool apps have you added to your cell phones?

I have real time weather on mine. If it gets wet, I know it's raining; if it's cold, I know it's cold outside... grin

OK, now I'll be serious. For you guys that have weather on your phone, does it work up north also, or just in town? What about other states?

The 4 or 5 dollars I pay a month is WELL worth the time and trouble it has saved me to have real time radar on my phone.

I feel I can bring up the radar and make an educated decision on if I want to take cover, or ride it out.

There were more than several times this summer that I would've bailed (no doubt about it) if I didn't have radar. But I was able to pull it up and see that it was only going to last 15 minutes or so and all clear behind it.

I'm also able to use the browser, but find MyCast very fast and user friendly. I can set it to alert me for watches/warnings/lighting.

Do you have to pay extra service fees to get weather and radar on the cell phones?

Just curious my fish finder is satellite radio, weather and radar capable but I have to purchase weather seperate from radio.

I pay $15/month to have internet on my phone. This is included with that.

OK, now I'll be serious. For you guys that have weather on your phone, does it work up north also, or just in town? What about other states?

It will work wherever you can get internet on your phone. All you have to do is change the zip code, or look up the specific city/area you want.

I have MyCast and really like it except for the fact it won't work on my phone outside of Verizon's home area. As soon as I get past St. Cloud on Hwy 10 and north of Mora on Hwy 65 it won't work. Works in North Dakota though. Is there anyway to it to work in the "Extended Network" as Verizon calls it?

MyCast has very good radar resolution and forcast detail. Found it to be pretty accurate too.

beerfish, that is one limitation that I've found.

However with the new plans and services through Verizon, data will be billed separately from voice and I think the application should work differently with that change.....at least I hope.

The MyCast software is also used with the ESPN fishin forecast. ESPN FF adds some other features geared towards fisherman, including livewell statistics and presentation(s) used. Since it uses the same software, I think I'm going to see if I can get FF on my phone.

MyCast WAS a Paul Douglas / Russ Knoopf (sp) design.

They've since sold out. They basically took the info from the NWS.

Now with my smartphone I just have www.weather.gov (NWS) as my homepage.

If you go to Download.com, you can look up many many many different apps you can download to your phone, most of which are free.

I have a large sized version of the NWS radar downloaded. It cost me 9.99 to download the program, but now I have a 3"x5" radar on my phone for work.