• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp in the Sippi or any river for that matter...

Alan

Where do you present your bait? Corn, or whatever your using to catch your carp. Do you get it way out in the channel, or keep it relatively close to the shore? I know the river tends to drop off rather quickly. So do carp go deep, or stay shallow? Where should I present my bait?

Second, what could I use to float my hook a little off the bottom if it has corn on it?

I would say stay in the shallow range, but a little depth won't hurt. I have had the best luck fishing in 5 feet of water where there is little to zero structure in the river. I have also caught them in a deep hole that we fish for Catfish in which is nearly 30 feet deep. However, I have more luck on the sandy shallows.

I also use corn for bait and a circle hook. Usually a 5/0 size strung with as much corn as it will hold. I will also use nightcrawlers for Carp which are basically the best bait for a river because you can catch MANY different species on them. Make sure you string the worm on all the way, or you will lose them very often in the river. Shovelnose Sturgeon, Sheephead, Carp, and even big Flathead Catfish will eat nightcrawlers.

This is how I set my Carp fishing rig, which is also my Catfish setup:

Main line...2 oz Bank Sinker...Bead...Barrel Swivel... 12" Leader...5/0 Hook