Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BuschPilot

SKIDS FOR FISH HOUSE

10 posts in this topic

Quick question for you all with skid houses, looking at making a 8x16 skid house and am wondering if any of you have ever used 2x6's bolted together for the skids. trying to come up with a economical way to build a house and will want 3 runners for sure for the 8'. any help or pictures would be great!!

thanks

I have seen people do that, but the best to use is white oaks skids if you can find them. Use to drag my Granpa's fish house right down the tar for about a mile and never seemed to wear down. Although they would smoke some. smile

BP,

Like jerkbait said, go with White Oak. It may be more expensive but they will outlast the house unless you are pulling them long distances over tar and gravel every season. With 2x6 skids, they will only last for a couple of seasons and then will need to be replaced. Not a fun job, and not something you want to be doing frequently. You will only need 2 skids and a good pair of spreaders this way also.

years ago we had an 8x16 out of barnical bills and we put micro lamb beams under it it was awsome the first year, then they broke so we put white oak under it and steel spreaders. For 7 years never once had a problem and then the house was badly vanalized they accually drove thur it with a truck so we decided to scrap it but the skids were still in perfect shape and sold them to another guy that needed them at bills place.

Moral of the story is: Don't try and just get buy with something that will work for now-go with something that is time tested.

Put 4x4's under house and then bolt channel iron (atleast 1/4" thick)to them or weld up a pipe frame (fairly inexpensive) but will last and then bolt the floor to it hardcore. One nice thing is that the pipe wont freeze in like wood will. I would use around 2-3" pipe and on the ends you could bend them up at an angle which will make it pull really easy. Good Luck!!!

Jeremy, come back to the machine shop tomorrow! We can order some doughnuts and have a brainstorming/project status meeting and see if we can fiquire something out! Jim H.!!! laugh

will do Jim, Should be able to figure something out here. sounds like the cold will be coming soon!!

Do NOT put 3 skids under it!, if that center one freeze's in your in for a whole lotta work.

thanks all for the replies, NAMA and I had a conference and am in the process of checking out a couple oak skids for this house and attaching some thick plastic to the bottom to help slide around. Hope all works out. Thanks agaiN!!

That white oak slides really nice on the ice. Then again I slide really nice on the ice blush.