• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lindy Rigging With Fireline: Monofilament Leader of Fireline Leader?

TroutYammer

I just filled a reel with 8# fireline for lindy rigging with crawlers. Now I am trying to figure out if I should use fireline from the swivel to the hook or if I should use monofilament line for the last 4-Ft of the snell? I fish very clear lakes (Secki Disk = 16ft) and am worried that fireline might be visible. I would like to hear if you all use fireline for the last few feet or if you use some other line?

6lb-10lb vanish for me depending on the snag meter. I love using vanish. It proved it's worth to me the first year it came out and I spooled it on for opener that year. My buddy used braid(spiderwire) and we were fishing back water of MN river. That water is pretty dingy. We fished side by the side on the bottom using the exact same setup and bait, only difference was our rods and line. He had a Gl3 and i a cheap berkly lightening. I out fished him that day with 7 fish to his 1.

I tie my fireline right to the swivel and never had a problem.

Right to the swivel, yes, but from the swivel to the hook you should definitely be using a monofilament or fluorocarbon in the 4 - 6# variety.

I use Berkely Vanish across the board for all riggin' applications, amongst other things.

I would use flouro on the leader, mostly for the visibility factor.

I do my deep water rigging with fireline or its equivalent, but I prefer mono or copoly for shallower rigging. I like having a little stretch in those situations, just works better for me. I hook more fish that way than I do with a no-stretch line.

I agree with sled. When the opportunity presents itself with a hot bite, I run a heavier leader if possible too. Also, a heavier leader will present your bait in a different way. Heavier leaders tend to hold you bait a bit higher, especially when rigging on the move.

Something to be aware of when switching your main line from mono to braid is your hookset. If you're used to a really hard hookset with mono, you can't do that with braid, or you'll rip the hook right out of the fish's mouth. A medium to soft hookset (depending on water depth) is all you need with braid as your main line.

do u think they hold bait higher? I always have to use a worm blower to keep my hook off the bottom.

At the right speed, I do feel that a heavier line holds the bait higher from the drag. The extra stiffness also plays into the presentation too. Depends on your line density also, lots of factors to play around with.

after walleye fishing with fireline for so long I honestly cant see how anyone can use mono. I hate not being able to feel every little bump, bite, potential snag. You dont have to set the hook very hard at all. I use lindy no snag sinkers and I havent lost a sinker since july. I fish pretty rocky lakes too...Rainy, Vermilion, Kab...

I have done both in a pinch and have never really noticed a difference. But this time of year the fishing can be tough, and I will take every advantage I can get.

To be honest I do use fireline on my river fishing rig, throwing small crankbaits and jigs for smallmouth and trout. Trout are much more line shy than walleyes, and I have caught plenty of them on straight fireline. Of course that is more of a reaction strike.

I tried the 8# FireLine with a 6-FT PLine leader this weekend and ended up ripping the Fireline off my reel and refilling with good with Trilene XL. I think that maybe I am getting to old and grumpy to lear new tricks but I really wanted to try Fireline. In my opinion Fireline is much more sensitive and I get that part. But casting 8# Fireline really sucks compared to 8# Trilene XL and what is with all the kinky "memory coils" in the Fireline as it rolls off the spool? I think Fireline would be good for trolling RAPS but for worm rigging I am back to Trilene XL because it is inexpensive and works really well for me.