• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Restrictions During Deer Season

Dave

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Commissioner Mark Holsten announced new restrictions for off-highway vehicles (OHV) to be in effect during part of the 2008 deer hunting season.

The Commissioner's Order effects recreational riding on DNR forest trails but does not impact OHV use for big game hunting. Vehicles affected by the restrictions include all terrain vehicles, off road motorcycles, and off road vehicles such as jeeps and four-wheel-drive trucks that are not being used in conjunction with deer hunting by a licensed deer hunter.

The purpose of the restriction is to protect recreational OHV riders from potentially unsafe riding conditions and, to minimize conflicts between deer hunters seeking a quiet deer hunting experience and recreational riders who may inadvertently interrupt the hunt.

In the northeastern Minnesota 100 Series deer season, the recreational riding restriction will be in effect Nov. 8 through Nov. 23. In the Minnesota 200 Series deer season, the recreational riding restriction will be in effect Nov. 8 through Nov. 16. See the 2008 deer season map at www.dnr.state..mn.us/hunting/deer/index.html

There are no recreational OHV trails in southeastern Minnesota that remain open during the deer season so no additional restrictions are necessary in the southern part of the state.

This new restriction is in addition to the restricted hours of use that have been in effect in previous years. Deer hunters possessing a valid deer hunting license can operate an OHV 1) before legal shooting time (one-half hour before sunrise), 2) from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and 3) after legal shooting hours (one-half hour after sunset).

While many recreational OHV riders have voluntarily opted not to ride forest trails during deer hunting and small game seasons, OHV riding has become a year-around sport for many. That's why Commissioner Holsten, reminds everyone who visits state forests in the fall to always consider safety first.

I am not a hunter but I can't say this is a bad thing. Typically in and around deer season if we do any riding we were our Blaze Orange construction vests.

On an additional note I can't understand why a hunter would want to set themselves up that close to a legal atv trail, there are plenty of areas in the forest that atv's are not permitted.

People continue to constantly chip away at when and where atv's can use their privilege to ride. Maybe if MN lawmakers would pull their head out of their backside we wouldn't lose so many ATV tourism dollars to WI. With any luck I'll get into the job I would like to do and be moving to WI.

On an additional note I can't understand why a hunter would want to set themselves up that close to a legal atv trail, there are plenty of areas in the forest that atv's are not permitted.

We call them tennis shoe hunters. They never get far enough in the woods to need anything more than tennis shoes. There are many like this, especially bow hunters.

I like the law, but the safety reason shouldn't be why. If anyone is taking that unsafe of shots, you should not be hunting. As for the disturbance, that is a myth (unless you hunt next to the trail). I have had plenty of successful hunts driving to my stand on my atv. They don't even know it's there.

The reason I like the law is, IMO there shouldn't be anyone in the woods during this time that is not hunting. Kinda like opening fishing. There shouldn't be any jet-ski's on the lake when there is that many people out.

Originally Posted By: SomethingFishy

We call them tennis shoe hunters. They never get far enough in the woods to need anything more than tennis shoes. There are many like this, especially bow hunters.

Hey, hey, some of the biggest deer we've seen have been in close wink And, some enjoy watching machines ride past. smile

Well, speaking of Hondas and deer. The other day I went over to my neighbors on the wheeler. I got up to the house to have a deer standing 30 feet away and stayed there until I left. Didn't bother him/her in the least.

Seems to me the lawmakers are forcing fish and game officers to become atv police.

Hope this doesnt start to take away the focus of fish and game conservation.

Maybe the dnr should hire atv police and hire me , so I can ride trails all day ...LOL...

Originally Posted By: Roofer
Well, it's kind of like riding a Honda. Maybe it works well for someone, but it doesn't mean that we can't tease them. laugh

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr........ gringrin

The Honda riders might have to gang up on those rebel Kawi riders on the next ride. eekgrin

Originally Posted By: Augusta
Originally Posted By: Roofer
Well, it's kind of like riding a Honda. Maybe it works well for someone, but it doesn't mean that we can't tease them. laugh

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr........ gringrin

The Honda riders might have to gang up on those rebel Kawi riders on the next ride. eekgrin

Are you insinuating that the Honda's could keep up? LOL You won't catch me.... that is unless that darn tree jumps in front of me again. grin

Yep, the Rinny eventually will catch up no matter what because it runs longer on a tank of fuel. But then again, a Kawi could probably stop for gas and lunch and still be ahead of the Honda. laugh

(as long as it stays in one piece) wink