• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Icegator or Gas Auger...Which Will Last Longest

blodngoods

I would put my vote with a gas auger... My dad has a Kluge ice auger, from like 1971, and it still runs like a top! Heavy as all get out, but throws ice like a cat going crazy. I cant believe an electrical engine will be able to last that long. HOWEVER, will it last long enough for you to feel you got your moneys worth?... Probably, I haven't heard anything bad about the IceGator units.

I agree, if your looking for long term, I think the gas auger will be the best bet. I am only saying this because Ice Gators havent been around long enough to compare. The Ice Gator looks to be very well built, and may just outlast the gas augers, but time will only tell. I have had electric augers in the past, and the electric motor has lasted atleast 10 years, so I am not really concerned. I am hoping to get an Ice Gator this fall.

As this is only my second year for the icegator I think it will last for as long as I will ever need it granted a few years down the line I may need new batteries but so doesnt the car the vex the portable radio And any issues with the motor have been properly repaired / replaced by the manufactur on ones I have heard of that had issues Batteries of the future Im sure are gonna be cheaper and better and again if you take care of it like any tool it should last a long long time

I have the 8" model

This was taken of the the Icegator web page.

"The Icegator drive is to be used on any 6” or smaller ice auger drill bit ONLY. If you use this on a drill bit larger it may damage the drive, and void you warrantee."