• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sand Blasting Needed

Neighbor_guy

Question

I inherited an8x10 snowmobile trailor that was badly neglected. Last season it basicaly died. I cut the deck off as well as most of cross members leaving just the frame.

I need to have the rest of this thing sandblasted so I have a good place to weld to and get it all repainted.

I cant find anyone to do this. Does anyone know of someone who still will take a small sandblasting project in the Isanti, St. Francis, Cambridge area???

Like I said, right now, I got nothing... confused

4 answers to this question

You may be able to go with an angle grinder and a stiff wire brush. Then be sure to use a good primer after you've cleaned off all the gunk with mineral spirits. Probably 2 hours and a lot cheaper than sandblasting.

I'm going to be tackling this same project on an 8x12 lawn service trailer next month.

However i have a compressor and i bought a sand blasting tank 2 years ago from Northern.

It wont be fun and i certainly will be dirty but i'm going to give it a go...then prime and paint.

I have heard of an outfit in southern MN (mankato area) that sand blast stuff and then does the powder coat finish on stuff like plows and dump truck bodies but i cant remember the name of it.

Neighbor_Guy, A couple years back I was in your same situation. I got an estimate on having my trailer frame blasted clean and it came out to more than the trailer was worth!! I already owned a compressor so I figured I'd get a media blaster and go for it. YES, It's a dirty job but so far, I think that I've made more than I spent by doing 'discount' jobs for neighbors and their friends. Best part is..I lay down tarps to 'keep the area clean' as well as recycling my media. If you already own a fair sized compressor, You might consider doing the same. BTW, Cast iron cookware is a GOLDMINE!!! Phred52