• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

power pro vs fireline

staresatice

Didn't realize that PP had line specifically for ice fishing.

I put FL Crystal Micro Ice on a reel couple years ago. Works terrible if fishing in cold conditions. Ices up very badly and is tought to knock the ice off - typically have to wait to get it home to let it melt off. Works great if in a warm shack.

I'm intereted to hear feedback on the PP Ice. May have to strip the FL off and give this a try.

I love the fireline but when using it in the open shack. PP is fairly similar, but I havent used it on ice, so i would expect about the same performance.

I find vanish to be a little stiff for use on my small ice reels, but have had great luck with the hybrid nylon flouro lines on ice. My fav is the yo zuri hybrid, but they dont really make a line light enough for pannies.

I love Fireline for open water, but it just froze up too much on the ice. It was fine in the heated shack as others have stated, but I like to jump around outside as well and it just didn't work out well for me.

I run the Power Pro on a number of sticks and have been really happy with it. Have no problems at all, run it with or without invisi-leader with much success. My only complaints are that it has almost doubled in price in the last 3 years, was $4.99 now around $7.99 a spool. And also the stuff will stain if ran in dirtier water. Had hit LOW 2 winters back when they had the wind torn water, really messed it up.

i guess i asked the question wrong. i usually use 4lb fireline ice, and want i want to know is how does the power pro ice compare in strength. i seen somewhere that it is going to bleed the color out of it and that you can just put a color of choose on with a marker.

Round braids in light line weights/diameters preform best on the ice, like Power Pro.

Thin stainless guides also help, they shatter ice from building up in the guides. Thick ceramic or acolyte guides hold ice and plug up far more easily and quickly.

The Frabill Ultra Ice rods, the last generation of the Genz rods, and all of the the Jason Mitchel Ice Rods are good examples of a very good super braid ice rod.