• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HELP "mixed feelings"

NAMASafetyDirector

I know this topic has been discussed again but I would like some fresh input. I currently have a Strikemaster Mag 2000 8" auger but I have been considering getting a new Strike-Lite 4 stroke. I have heard mixed reports on the Strike-Lite so I'm just trying to get some unbiased feedback from anyone who has spent some time using one. My biggest concern is cold weather starting with the 4 stroke. By cold I mean 15-30 below zero. I don't have any reservations about the cutting performance of the auger, I just don't want to have any problems with the engine starting when it's cold out. Thanks in advance for any comments! NAMA

I've never had any issues starting mine. Let it warm up and it's good to go. Must say, I think -5 to -10 or so is the coldest I've used mine. It's light compared to my friend's Jiffy STX. I also will say I don't haul mine via sled, so the plastic breaking has not been an issue. I would give it a try. Super quiet and light.

Cold weather starting shouldn't be a problem at all. I've started my dad's StrikeLite down to about -20. Starts and runs fine.

I still have mixed feelings on the composite flighting and the design of the cutting end of the auger. It loves to pack with slush, especially when its cold out.