• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Soups!

hamrej23

This is one of my favorites, my wife just made it last night so the recipe was still on the counter. Just finished a leftover bowl for lunch. The original recipe doesn't call for meat but we fixed that in a hurry grin

Minestrone

1 pound italian sausage or ground venison

4 - 14oz cans beef broth

1 - 15oz can red kidney beens, rinsed and drained

1 - 15oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained

1 - 14oz can stewed tomatoes, undrained

2 - 11.5oz cans of tomato juice or V8 (we like to use the spicy V8)

1 - 6oz can of tomato paste

2 teaspoons sugar

1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed

1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables

2 cups cooked pasta, medium shells or elbow macaroni

2 cups fresh spinach leaves, cut into strips

1. Brown meat in skillet

2. In a large dutch oven combine meat, beef broth, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, undrained tomatoes, tomato juice, tomato paste, sugar, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil; add mixed vegetables. Reduce heat and simmer covered for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender

3. Stir in cooked pasta and spinach, heat through. Serve with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

Note: This is a good recipe to make the day before however if you do that keep the pasta and spinach separate until heating to serve. If you add it in ahead of time it seems to soak up a lot of the broth and you wind up with more of a chili.

Looks good, I may have to try it. I have a good chicken soup recipe and a good beef soup recipe, this would be a good alternative!!

I'm curious why you would drain and rinse the beans?? I would think that in a soup the bean juice would add more flavor...

I'm planning on making grouse and wild rice soup for the up coming UFC fights for a bunch of friends. Does anyone have any good Grouse/chicken wild rice soup they'd like to give up?? Any good sides? I might just make a big batch of soup and a bunch of corn bread...any ideas??

I made this hearty soup tonite. I didnt measure a single thing but you'll get the jist of it

I saute'd in a little butter - one onion chopped, 2 stalks of celery, and one clump of leeks(white part only) a little salt and pepper.

When they soften a tad add 4-5 diced potatos and 3 cups each of chicken and veggie stock, and about a tablespoon of chopped garlic, 2 bay leaves, a big pinch of cajun seasoning, a pinch of tarragon, some salt and pepper. I also shredded in a a carrot.

Bring to a boil till potatos are soft enough, scoop about 1/2 or 2/3rds of the solids out into a blender, remove bay leafs, add about a cup of milk to the blender and puree.

While that was going on I added a can of corn to the pot and about a a third to a half pound of diced ham...

Add the puree back in the pot and get it boiling. Once boiling I added a handfull of shredded cheddar and handfull of shredded provolone or mozzerella. The cheese will incorporate in a minute or two.

Taste, salt and pepper if needed. I didnt need to but you may need to thicken it with a roux(butter n flour) or thin it with half n half or milk.

You can also start this with browning off a little bacon...

Here's one of mine that goes over pretty well.

Cheeseburger Soup

1/2 pound ground beef

3/4 cup onion, chopped

3/4 cup carrots, shredded

3/4 cup diced celery

1 tsp dried basil

1 tsp dried parsley flakes

4 tbsp butter, divided

3 cups chicken broth

4 cups diced and peeled potatoes

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

8 ounces processed American cheese, cubed about 2 cups

1 1/2 cups milk

3/4 tsp salt

1/4 to 1/2 tsp pepper

1/4 cup sour cream

In a 3-qt saucepan, brown venison; drain and set aside. In the same saucepan, saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tbsp of butter until veggies are tender, about 10 minutes. Add broth, potatoes and venison; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-12 minutes until potatoes are tender. Meanwhile in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir until 3-5 minutes until bubbly. Add to soup;bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.

Here's another one that's a favorite.

Cream of Wild Rice Soup

2 cups Celery, chopped

1 med onion, chopped

3 carrots, shredded

1/2 med. green pepper, chopped

2 4 oz cans sliced mushrooms, drained, reserve liquid

9 slices of bacon, cut into 3/4 inch pieces

2 Tbsp butter

1/2 cup flour

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp salt

6 cups chicken broth

2 cups cooked diced chicken/pheasant

1 pint half and half

2 Tbsp parsley flakes

1 1/2 cups wild rice

Rinse and cook the wild rice. Usually takes 20 - 30 minutes for he rice to cook. In the meantime brown bacon pieces in a dutch oven or large pot. Take out bacon pieces once browned and save for later. Add butter to bacon drippings. Saute' celery, onion, carrots, green pepper and mushrooms until vegetables are tender. Add flour, salt and pepper. Stir over heat until flour is of a pasty to bubbly consistency. Add chicken broth and reserved mushroom liquid. Stir and cook until thickened(10 - 15 minutes). Add bacon pieces, cooked pheasant, wild rice, half and half and parsley. Simmer about 15 minutes. Do not boil. Serves 10 -12 people.

I just tried this one for the first time last night and it was a big hit with the wife and kids.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

2 Tbsp butter

1 onion, chopped

1 garlic clove, chopped

1 stalk celery, chopped

32 ounce box of chicken broth

4 cups frozen broccoli or california medley

3 Tbsp butter

3 Tbsp flour

2 cups milk

pepper

1 cup Velveeta cheese- more or less to taste

Melt 2 Tbsp butter in medium stock pot, and saute onion, garlic and celery until tender.

Add broccoli and broth; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Puree soup or mash with potato masher and then return to heat.

In small pan, over medium heat, melt 3 Tbsp butter, stir in flour and add milk.

Stir until thick and bubbly, add to soup.

Add cheese, stir until melted.

Season with pepper and serve.

Serves 4-6 people.

Meatfish chowder

1-2 lb.fresh fish depending how fishing was(any kind)boneless ut into chunks

1 package seafood mix(squid,shrimp,clams,catfish or similar blend

1 lb. package shrimp.I like large or jumbo cut in chunks.

4 good sized red or yukon gold potatoes or many b size 1/2" chunk

(I leave the skin on)

1 pack baby carrots chopped

1-2 bundles green onion chopped(to taste)

1 jar artichoke heart.chopped

Heart of celery . chopped (to taste I use it all)

8 oz. top the tater onion chive.

2-3 foil packs of goya sazo'n found in international section

1 can corn optional

2 T Mrs dash garlic herb

1 t lemon pepper

chopped garlic (to taste I use a lot)

2 cups milk or cream

salt to taste

pepper to taste

In a large pot or kettle fill about 12 full with water and bring to a boil add carrots,potatoes and celery.simmer till sill a little crunchy.Add all fish and simmer till done(careful not to over cook fish blend).Add artichoke,onions garlic and corn.

While simmering stir in milk.and top the tater.

(optional) add 1/4- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan or romano cheese

Now you can add seasonings,start with goya then Mrs dash then lemon pepper tasting as you go, add salt and pepper to taste.

If this chowder is too thin I use corn starch or flour and water mixture adding to simmering pot to attain desired thickness.

I have added a can of chowder soup but prefer not to.

Left overs make great cracker dip either cold or mix with cream cheese or shredded cheese and top with bread crumbs or dried onions and bake in a casserole.Great with multi grain or whole wheat crackers.The first time I made this was in the fish house with a group crappie fishing.It is requested every time they come now.