• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canon pro services

Hey Steve, I just saw this on another forum... have you seen it? I wonder how this will effect current members

Canon U.S.A. has announced that it will be instituting a new Canon Professional Services (CPS) program beginning in the first quarter of 2009. The new CPS program, which will require all existing members to reapply, will offer three levels of membership - Silver, Gold and Platinum - to qualifying members, with each level receiving better and more extensive service benefits. The new CPS program is designed to provide the appropriate level of service for each professional demographic and support members with faster service, loan equipment, and a range of other benefits to be announced in the coming months.

CPS Silver level membership will be offered free-of-charge to qualifying photographers. This level of membership includes a welcome kit, access to the CPS phone hotline and a 20 percent discount on repairs.i

For professional photographers requiring a higher level of Canon support, CPS Gold level membership additionally includes access to loan equipment for a two-week trial period and an expedited three-day turnaround on service items.ii Along with a 30 percent service discount, CPS Gold level membership includes two free Check & Clean vouchers and will have an annual fee of $100*.

The CPS Platinum membership level will include priority access to loan equipment for two-week trial periods, 60 percent discount on repairsiii, expedited two-day turnaround on equipment service and backup equipment loans if service is longer than two days.iv CPS Platinum level membership will have an annual fee of $500*.

Yeah, I just got it as well.

Aside from rush service, the only aspect of CPS I regularly use is the free gear loans. And of course CPS membership has been free to this point.

CPS was one of the great things about Canon vs other brands, the fact that they'd made a commitment to take care of their pros at no cost to the pros.

Now I gotta come up with another $100 annually in order to maintain that level of service. Sure, no problem. I'll just sell a kidney to keep up with all these rising costs. It's not like $100 is a big price to pay for that gold level of service and features, not at all. Just gotta dig it out of an already thin wallet. Or not.

I participated in the CPS questionnaire almost a year ago which asked a lot about what you would be willing to pay for or not pay for. It was obvious at that time that they were headed to a fee based service based on the wording of the questions.

I guess I've used it primarally for fast repair service. The few times I've used the repair service has been excellent. I've had 5 days or less each time, mail on a Monday, on my doorstep repaired by Friday. I can't wait 3 or 4 weeks on repairs.

I will be shelling out for the $100 level because that is what will benifit me the most. Another cost to doing business in an already expensive market.

Well for $100 I will essentially be getting what I've been getting for free. We were getting a 20% discount on service, now that will be 30%. My last repair this summer would have saved me $30 dollars. I've averaged at least one or two repairs per year so it won't end up costing me a whole lot more for a slightly better service.

If I had slightly higher repair costs per year I would pay the $500 no doubt about it. 60% discount on a blown shutter or another major repair wouldn't be as hard to stomach. Fortunately my equipment has held up well so I don't anticipate having to pony up a level.

I do have to pay for two memberships though so I am not getting off real cheap here!

A company can't have a single membership with multiple photographers, each photographer has to have their own membership unless they have changed that policy. I have two photographers....