• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Orange lawn?

sticknstring

Hey folks... I've recently become a homeowner and acquired a lawn that was terrible shape. It had been sodded but not cared for (watered or fertilized) for 2 years. I've done that the past 2 months and have been planting grass seed in the bare spots. Up until a week ago the yard was looking great... green as could be. But now the blades are exhibiting a yellowish-orange hue that appears widespread. The lawn was recently hand-thatched with a rake and has been mowed once or twice. It is diseased or what could be causing the change of color? Thanks for your help.

Could be rust or possibly crab grass or bromegrass. These types of grass have wider leaves than ordinary lawn grass. They usually turn orange/brown at this time of the year while blue grass stays green even after frost.

It could be something else all together. I had a customer with the same problem last year and he almost spent 1200 dollars on a rust remover for his well. After some water samples that were sent down to the U, it came back that it was a mold spore that was turning his shoes orange. It only affected weak struggling lawns and fertilizing and watering should resolve the issue. He took the advice and it cleared up.

We're on city water so I'm ruling out the rust... I do see lots of crabgrass so that's probably what it is... I wasn't aware it turned colors in the fall... rather unsightly. But at least the lawn is healthy so-to-speak. If it is a mold spore, hopefully all my upkeep will get rid of it. Any good treatment to thin out the crabgrass - early spring fertilizers perhaps?

I believe the "rust" LwnmwnMan2 is talking about is a mold type rust and not something from the water supply.

Yes, I'm sorry, but I meant lawn rust. It's the mold spore that Setterguy mentioned, it's called "rust".

Fertilizing and water.

"Walking through your rust-infected lawn may be just the ticket if you like orange shoes. However, if orange is not your favorite color, you probably will not appreciate this fungal turf disease!

Rust is a turf-grass disease (caused by a Puccinia species) that is most noticeable in late August and September and has shown up in many lawns this past week. The rust-colored, tiny spores of the fungus rub off easily on shoes, fingers, clothes and even animals romping through the grass. Rust infections are most common on Kentucky bluegrass and perennial ryegrass lawns. Rust will cause the turf to take on a generally yellow appearance and symptoms appear to be more evident when the weather is dry. Control recommendations include using blends of resistant turf cultivars and providing adequate water and fertility levels to keep the grass growing vigorously during dry periods. Fungicide treatments are recommended only if the lawn has experienced continuous heavy infections. "

This is from Purdue University.