• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Report from 13th and 14th

Royce Aardahl

Another great weekend back home. Here are a few pics. I decided to carry the camera last night since I would be hunting the outer edge of the bean field. Friday mid day I set up a ground blind about a mile north of these pics cuz my friend spotted a couple that shound go P&Y in the area. The plan was to hunt it Saturday a.m. Friday afternoon I got to my stand about 1/3 mile south of these pics about 5p.m. It wasn't long and I had 2 nice 8 pointers crunching acorns right under me at 15 yards. The last 4 pics are these 2 bucks. This is the first time I have passed on bucks this size. I'm guessing they are around 105 to 115 for scores. I did hook up to my loop and almost pulled back but told myself to wait. Can't get a shot at a bigger one if ya shoot one of these. They finally walked off and it was almost 6 p.m. Then had a few smaller bucks and a bunch of doe and fawns go by. Later had a steak fry at fonz's place in the woods and I was pleased with my desicion. Saturday a.m. I headed to the ground blind and at 7:20 I see a nice deer walking a ridge. Nice buck! Looks to be a 10 pointer with good mass, I'd guess 130's. I range him at 70 yards. He looks towards the ground blind and didn't like the new addition to the niegborhood and continued walking north. Then just saw a few does. Saturday p.m. it was back to the same stand as friday. I decided if the 8 pointers come by again I will take the shot. Had 5 bucks under me but all were smaller. And a bunch of does and faws around. Sunday a.m. I slept in till 7 and just took a short walk into some state land to check a couple river crosings for fun. Then Sunday afternoon hit my ladder stand where I took the pics from. There was a 6 pointer standing about 15 yards from it when I walked in. Then the fawn came by with it's ma. The fawn decided to lay down so it wa nice to have the camera. Before long the dinner bell rang and they just kept coming out to the beans. Had 28 out there, needed a wide angle lens! The 8 pointer with the small G3's was at 90 yards so I digitized the zoom. Now I'm thinkin, I shoulda shot you Friday! But I'm still ok with the desicion to pass. Next time out I may just shoot something for the frying pan! A big old skunk was milling around under me when it was time to leave. Sure glad I heard it before I got down or I'd probably still stink!!!

33dbghu.jpg

303k0tc.jpg

x2pfld.jpg

2lcefp.jpg

s4nsed.jpg

27x3srp.jpg

orjcsm.jpg

3313pc6.jpg

nf63rl.jpg

s6398k.jpg

Nice report....and pics

Probably was tempting to let one fly...but think what they will look like in a year or two! It's tough to let em walk though isn't it!

With that amount of deer around shouldn't be long before you put one down.

Thanks. Looks like you have found a very good location to pop one. You are correct on the "you cant shoot a big one if you pop a smaller one" but isn't that a tough one to let them walk by.

I love to arrow deer and I always have a very hard time letting a good buck pass. That why I get the doe tags I do as it seems to take the pressure of if one can shoot a few flat tops.