• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 stroke oil

Nuts4Fishin

Question

11 answers to this question

Put my first tank full of Amsoil premix (saber outboard) in my 2 stroke 1998 75hp outboard. So far so good, but only been out once. To chicken to jump directly to the 100:1 ratio, starting out with 80:1 for now.

I run 100:1 Amsoil Saber Pro in my auger since almost new the past two seasons. Runs cleaner, stronger, and starts easier.

Is yours a pre-mix or an oil-injected engine?

If oil injected use the AMSOIL HP Injector. It is available in quarts and gallons.

If pre-mix use the Saber Outboard. It is available in 8-oz bottles that will mix 5 gallons at 80-1 or 6 gallons at 100-1; and quarts that will mix 20 gallons at 80-1 or 25 gallons at 100-1. (NOTE: this is a different product from the Saber Professional for your auger, string cutter, chain saw and other air cooled 2-cycle pre-mix engines.)

At work we run amsoil in all 2 strokes. We mix 8 ounces to 2 1/2 gallons. I believe that would be 100:1. It works unbelievabe. We were going through 6 to 8 saws a month and when we switched to amsoil it went down to 1 every 2 months. And that's because of not mixing the gas. Granted we are not using this in marine equipment. But I would assume it would work there also.

Andy

Thanks OilMan I should have clarified. It is a Merc Opti. It has been absolutely bullet proof for 6 years and being a creature of habit I am nervous to change to something new. I don't want to screw up a good thing even if it smokes a little. How many others out there are running the HP injector and have you had any problems? Would I have to completely clean out the reservoir or can you add the Amsoil to what is in there if I go that route?

This question seems to come up several times every season - loads of people using it.

Changing over - AMSOIL is compatable to mix with petroleum and the other synthetics being used, but it is better to minimize the mixing. At best it is a sloppy job to try to drain the oil reservoir, and some are nearly impossible to drain. Just run your current oil down to the warning level then top off with the AMSOIL HP Injector.

Russell - the Saber Outboard is designed to be used as lean as 100-1 (8oz to 6 gal) and AMSOIL gives safe lubrication this lean, but there are many who are unconfortable so lean - you won't hurt it at 50-1 (16 oz to 6 gal). Even at 50-1 you will rarely see smoke with AMSOIL.

My suggestion, start with the leanest you are comfortable with, they go leaner toward 100-1 as you see it performing in your engine.