Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DTro

Franken Rejects League of Women Voters

24 posts in this topic

Minnesota's U.S. Senate candidates have agreed to a schedule of five debates.

And for the first time in many years, the Minnesota League of Women Voters was rejected as a sponsor of one of the debates that would have aired on KSTP-TV.

Three of the debates will be sponsored by an organization called Debate Minnesota and there will be one each on public radio and public television.

The League of Women Voters was rejected largely because it planned to air its debate on KSTP-TV.

The League has a 30-year history of sponsoring televised debates in Minnesota, including Gubernatorial and Senate debates on KSTP-TV in 2006.

Sources with knowledge of the debate negotiations said Al Franken's campaign objected to appearing on a debate on KSTP-TV, primarily because the station is owned by the Hubbard family, which has donated campaign money to Republicans.

Franken said he doesn't know why the debate was rejected.

"I wasn't in those negotiations so I'm not sure who was against that or if anybody was against that," Franken said.

A League of Women Voters spokeswoman expressed disappointment in being excluded, pointing out that no debates are being sponsored by a grassroots voting organization.

Hamline University Professor David Schultz said rejection of the League debate is unusual.

"They've sort of been the organization that's had a reputation for doing non-partisan, fair debates," he said.

Franken did appear in a KSTP-TV debate during the DFL endorsement process, but can't explain why the latest debate was rejected.

"I don't know. I was not sitting in on the negotiations. There were all kinds of negotiations. There were negotiations and I'm sure there were all kinds of factors, but we decided on five debates," Franken said.

A Franken campaign spokeswoman has denied that the debate was rejected because of KSTP-TV.

The Norm Coleman and Dean Barkley campaigns had no official comment, saying they’re bound by a confidentiality agreement.

The Hubbard family has donated money to Republicans but they have also donated to many Democratic and Independent candidates over the years.

What ever happened to the candidates challenging each other to a debate?

Do we really need "people or teams" to do everything? Or are the Candidates teams there just as scapegoats when things go wrong?

Gosh I'm really getting tired of excuses from everyone involved in the Political system. smirk

"I don't know. I was not sitting in on the negotiations. There were all kinds of negotiations. There were negotiations and I'm sure there were all kinds of factors, but we decided on five debates," Franken said.

This excuse is somewhat reminiscent of his excuse for not paying his taxes. It's always someone else’s fault with this guy. crazy

Another fine example of what the Dems have to offer.

In all fairness, these lame excuses (such as the one Kidd highlighted) come from both sides of the fence.

Barkley might be a good option this year.

ok uncle bill, so we're on the same side? The world truly is coming to an end. wink

I am concerned that should Franken get elected he is going to be the designated "hitman" for the democrats. Since he is already a celebrity they will be able put him in front the cameras to take shots at the republicans for whatever they do or don't do and how it is all their fault. Kind of like Rush Limbaugh but on the other side and with a senate seat. Not the kind of thing that is going to solve any problems. We will be stuck with 6 years of it.

I don't like Norm either. I did catch parts of the Independence party debate for the senate seat on the radio a month ago. It was a little different because they actually answered the questions.

I personally don't like either of them either.

I am really suprised on all the negative ads from this particular race- unreal

Franken is an even bigger potential embarassment than Ventura was. Good grief...

I also dont like either of these guys.(as a matter of fact Franken scares the [PoorWordUsage] out of me) I will be voting for Barkley. I will also be voting for Obama this time around. I have always voted for Repubs. Not anymore.

Franken just doesn't have that believability about him, and Norm hasn't done much in the last 6.

I think Barkly is more of a down to earth common man so to speak and will get my vote. (mainly because he answers the questions instead of dancing around them)

Barkley for me! Could never bring myself to vote for Coleman or Franken.

Anyone hear Al’s new radio spot?

Basically saying that Norm is making outrageous claims. “Is Al Franken going to drain Lake Superior?……NO, but Norm Coleman is using the same outrageous claims by saying that Franken didn’t pay his taxes. It simply isn’t true.”

But it is…..isn’t it?

What a bunch of dopes.

Yea, he didn't pay taxes, oh wait, he did after he was caught. At least I think he did when he was caught. Does that count?

They each have too many of their own problems to make them attractive to me. Time for Dean Barkley to get his chance, and Minnesota might just be populist enough and fed up enough with all this back-and-forth spitballing to do it.

I'm sorry guys, I just can't take Al Franken seriously.

C'mon, it' me..........Al Franken.

Seriously, guys.......it' me, Al Franken. I'm a comedian, I'm using (or trying to) use the congress seat in MN somewhat like Hillary did in NY, as a stepping stone.

But it's me, Al Franken.

Interested in checking out Barlley, but can't find his HSOforum.

Cannot in good consience vote for either of these 2 clowns.

Use a search engine for Dean Barkley and Minnesota and you'll go right there.

Actually, it showed up on the bottom of the page only after I searched for "dean barkley for senate"....

I read through his stands on various issues and could not find anything that I disagreed with. Unless I hear or read something that changes my mind, I'll be voting for him and encouraging others to do so.

PEATMOSS, tell your friends!

Maybe fishingmn can be ground zero for punching Franken & Coleman's tickets out of politics. Wouldn't that be grand.