• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anchor set up ?

bus33

Question

I have an 05 Lund 1800 tiller boat. I am having trouble trying to decide on how to rig the anchor. I have water spike in front with one of those (forgive me for not knowing the name) rollers that allows you to pull the rope in but catches the rope when you are letting line out thus eliminating the need for a cleat. It just seems too cluttered up front with the Humminbird, bow light, trolling motor, anchor rope, etc.

Is it just a clutter I will have to deal with? What do you guys/gals use for a bow anchor set up?

Thanks,

6 answers to this question

I hardly ever anchor the boat, but when I do I move past the spot I want to fish, drop the anchor, drift back to the spot and tie off on the front cleat. I like about 4 - 1 ratio on the anchor rope, more in windy weather. 6 ft. of water, 24 ft. of anchor rope. I had a roller and auto. tie off on my old boat and would never get another one.

No matter what when anchoring there always seems to be a cluster of things in the way. Get a good anchor like a richter and some coated chain and 120', or more if needed, of rope and you should hold in any wind thats worth fishing in.

I carry my anchor and rope in a plastic milk crate and thats working ok. Keepes me from tripping over rope all day.

I spool my anchor rope up on a cheap cord reel thats normally used for extension cords. Keeps the rope from being a tangled mess around my feet. Once you pull the rope up, it take just a few quick seconds to reel it up.

The anchor you choose should be based upon the bottom content on the place you usually anchor (mud, rocks, sand, etc).

If you can afford it, do exactly what Northlander suggested. Richtor anchor, length of coated chain, and milk crate. I would also suggest removing your anchormate and installing “The Gripper” cleat.

If you use a milk crate, when pulling up the rope, simple let the rope fall into the crate. It should never get tangled.

A lot off rope with a navy style anchor I use a 3/1 ratio 10 fow thirty feet of rope. in the wind I drive over the spot drop anchor and then drift back with the slack and it usually keeps me still. a low setting on the autopilot in deepwater keeps me pretty close to my spot also.