• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Toilet installation

zepman

This past weekend I had some new vinyl flooring put in my bathroom. I decided to replace my toilet with a new one also. After it was installed it now rocks back and forth from front to back etc.... It seems as though the floor underneath it is not completely even thus making it not sit "flush" to the floor. What can I do to help even out this problem? I have not caulked around the toilet yet---should I just caulk like crazy underneath the front and rear of the toilet? Any help would be great.

Thanks guys. Yes a new wax ring was installed. The old toilet did not move back and forth. It was on a tiled section of the flooring. The flooring contracters took out the older tile and then "prepared" the entire floor with an underlayment that looked alot like a drywall compound or something like that. I know it took awhile for it to dry before they could lay down the vinyl. So the new toilet now sits on top of the vinyl and you get a free ride everytime you want to TCB. Can you tell me more about these plastic shims and where a guy can get some. I think that's the only answer for this now. Thanks for the quick responses.

So the old tile was removed and your toilet is now tittering on the toilet flange because of the floor height difference. You can get the shims at any home improvement/builder center. Because its been wobbling you could have goofed up the wax ring and its not sealing the entire surface anymore. Replace the wax ring again and try not to let the wobble travel to much before you get it shimmed.

Turn tolet upside down and put a level, or stright edge on the bottom. Is the bottom level across it? If not you can take a grinder and grind the high spots off. I had to do that to mine. What they did was finish the floor to close to the flange, or drain in the floor.

i recomend using a wax that is only wax. Ive expereinced installs where that the flange is a little higher than the floor and that plastic will raise the toilet above the floor and/or push all the wax away from flange and prevent a seal.