• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Saturday 9/20

My favorite time of year is now here when it comes to Bassin' out of my canoe. Made it out on saturday here in the metro for a few hours to wet some lines. The fish didn't disappoint either. Most of the fish were caught on plastics, including a nice crappie which took a power minnow on a drop shot rig. After dark we got a few smaller largemouth on buzzbaits and rattlin' chug bugs up shallow. Here's a couple of Riverhogs nicer Bass along with my crappie.

fishing007.jpg

fishing010-1.jpg

fishing009-1.jpg

Well, here's my saturday report. After replacing two sliding glass doors on Friday and Saturday, I figured I'd earned a night out on the water. Plus I had to transport some 12' sections of J-channel earlier in the day, and what better way to get them from the store to my house than riding in my canoe on top of my truck. smile

Since the canoe was already loaded to go, it was a no-brainer to go wet a line. I grabbed a couple of rods and a little tackle. I fished two ways; spinnerbait and topwater. It was slow at first, then I picked up a little pike on the spinnerbait. The sun was getting lower on the horizon, time to switch to topwater.

The first blowup on a mini-spook was about a 6 lb. pike, he came completly out of the water, he also completly missed my lure. But that's exactly the type of action that got me back into fishing hardcore about 15 yrs ago. I proceeded to stick a couple of small bass, and another small pike, then I reached the area of the first big blowup, I was not suprised to see that fish take another swipe.

Now I have my lure totally engulfed by the pike, break out the jaw spreader, and go to work. This is the same lake where a pike stuck me with a lure that lead to an ER visit on a Sunday night, so I was a little gun shy when it started to go crazy, sploosh back in the water. Along with my jaw spreader, I always think after the fact that I should have a rope on that thing. laugh

I was able to set it free despite being jaw spreaderless, and called it a night shortly afterword.

Just put the canoe away today for the season, and I'm now in full ice mode.

Quote:
except when trying to get out of a storm.

I've had a few run ins with some wicked storms out in the canoe. Not fun. crazy