• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sharptail Hunters Please Read

A small project as directed by a Central Michigan Biology Professor seeks to gain some new genetic information for possible use to increase genetic health of Wisconsin sharp-tail populations by using an introduced genetic rescue effect.

Dr. Brad Swanson's genetic analysis will look at sharptail samples from North Dakota, Northwest Minnesota, and East Central Minnesota. The project is being funded by the Wisconsin DNR and both the Wisconsin and Minnesota Sharp-tailed Grouse Societies. Fifty to eighty samples(Wings with primary feathers, after the radius and ulna joint) from each region are needed.

Persons interested should contact Eric Nelson, Assistant Area Wildlife Supervisor at Thief River Falls for more information ([email protected] or 218-681-0946). You will need data sheets to adjoin each sample provided by Minnesota DNR as well as a handout on sample care procedures to maintain genetic integrity of the samples.

If you're a sharp-tail hunter, please sign up to help in this study!

Did anyone get out and participate in this study?

If you're a sharptail hunter, please save those wings and get them sent in. People still have time, as they're taking wings until the season's close later this month.

Also, if you haven't already, please sign up for the Minnesota Sharptail Grouse Society. If you're interested in signing up, let me know and I'll get you some info...

Here's a mature male who's wing is en route to the biologist as I type this!

dsc04002su4.jpg