Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chasineyes

Will work for Free??

17 posts in this topic

Question: I have an employee I would like to go door-to-door and solicit sales but she's only 7 years old, would I get in trouble for this? If the answer is yes, why is then ok for the schools to "hire"/"bribe" these kids to do fundraising for basic school supplies and field trips? And then on top of it to announce who gets what for raising/bribing the public into the most money. I'm looking for an honest/legal answer into why this doesn't fall into "child labor" laws. By the way my daughter plays sports so I understand where they are coming from for fundraising, but for basic school supplies????

I think it is cruel the way these schools and associations try to take advantage of these kids. First of all, it is wrong and second, it is dangerous. Schools, associations, churches, etc.. are all businesses. They take any angle they can to make a dollar. It's just sad to see them take it from kids.

I remember doing these things in school. Sometimes, if you didn't sell, it affected your grade. They are just using kids' innocence for financial gain. That does not seem right to me.

Thanks for letting me rant.

For your answer, if the girl is family, you will be fine. Otherwise it isn't legal that I am aware of, but on the other hand, there aren't many businesses that operate legally anymore.

Ya HaHa whoever sells the most get a bonus! Named CEO of the year, Receives large severance package + all the candy they can eat,but cant share it!

They teach the children early about prestige for the largest profit!

Then the common children get left aside while the biggest seller reaps all the attention! Jeeze to be 7 again!

Very few things chap my hide as much as this. Since my kids started school, I have been jacked with more stupid fundraisers than I can count. It doesn't bother me so much when they are selling something useful like coupon books for local businesses or Christmas wreaths. What really hacks me are all these stupid sales of overpriced convenience foods, books priced at twice what the local bookstore charges,candy and magazine subscriptions.

What really burnt me was how they offered these kids some crappy prizes based on what they sold. Back when my kids were still cute, it broke my heart to tell them no, I'm not subscribing to some magazine and no, you can't go bug the neighbors or call up the grandparents with this crapp either.

That being said, our schools are mandated to do far,far more than when I was a kid and sadly they truly need the money. I tried to volunteer when I could and contribute in ways other than these idiotic fundraisers.

Think that's bad. My 2 yo (yes 2yo) last year when to a new daycare center. They had a fund raiser for supplies by selling cookie dough. Are you kidding me??? You pay $200 a week for your child to go to daycare and they want a fund raiser to get supplies? It's a joke.

But the cookies were yummy!! laugh

My Daughters school has one fundraiser a year and it is a silent auction thing. Business and ind. people donate things and then one night a year they have the auction with games food etc. No selling things to relatives, going door to door etc. it has worked GREAT!

I have 3 kids, and the schools try to have them sell this stuff like 3 times a year, then ones in Girl Scouts, sells cookies xmas wreaths, and the others are in sports and they sell stuff too, it is getting out of hand!

I don't mind these kinds of fundraisers near as much if I get something in exchange for my donation. The one that I hate is called "Dollars for Scholars" here in my town. It is a fundraiser to raise money for scholarships for college bound high school students. All the kids do is call everyone in town, like a telethon and they expect you to just donate.

My son is selling stuff right now, just in case anyone would like to purchase anything grin but at least I get something in return, like renewed subscriptions to OL and F&S magazines.

I have 3 kids, and the schools try to have them sell this stuff like 3 times a year, then ones in Girl Scouts, sells cookies xmas wreaths, and the others are in sports and they sell stuff too, it is getting out of hand!

You gotta love those Girl Scout Cookies!

I love girl scout cookies! Its the leg work of selling them is the problem. If she (we) sell alot of them, then we have to drive all over to try to collect the money and deliver the cookies. Then add in the other 10 fund raisers going on!

Easier solution. Just agree to fund schools at the State and Federal level and fundraisers would not be needed.

Also, some of the money from fundraisers go to fields trips the kids will be taking. It is meant to help cover the costs for the families that can't afford to pay for the field trip. I know my wife and I have sent "extra" cash many times to help offset the cost for others.

Funny things is, my daughter just did one and of all the houses we went only 5 said no. What did all them have in common, they were all over 60! How soon they forget....

I'm sure most people with kids are in the same situation with fund raisers. My 7 yr old lives in a neighborhood with many other kids his age or close to his age. There is no we are going to waste our time knocking on doors to raise a few bucks.

It gets worse every year and with the economy and budget issues the schools will ask for more and more.

They may have been all over 60 but, very well could've bought from others already.

Quote:
Funny things is, my daughter just did one and of all the houses we went only 5 said no. What did all them have in common, they were all over 60! How soon they forget....

Possible they just don't have the spare $$$$? Many in that age group have fixed incomes and not a lot left over after bills and meds.

Where are all these children that are selling things? They must skip my place for a reason, come to think of it Halloween is pretty quiet as well. I don't think they can see if I'm home with my van in the way, maybe I should move it......

133834.jpg

Another thing to think about for us over 60...6 grandkids, plus fundraisers at church, etc. and I am sure that there are those that have more then me.

Hilarious. I loved that series of "motivational posters" that came out. What was it? "C'mon, that guy seems legit" laugh