• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GROUND BLINDS

ninepointer

Its funny you ask. I was just about to start a thread on the same thing. I just bought my first ground blind because my fiance wants to go deer hunting with me but is scared of heights... I thought this would be a good way to get her out plus it makes it easier to hunt public land.

I typically place mine up a week before I'm going to hunt in it and also brush it in some. The deer and even wild turkey will almost walk right into it. They are not afraid of it at all. My blind has a minimum of one deer shot out of it each year.

A very good option for a treeless spot or for taking another along.

Brownie77, they do work very well but as I stated, brush it in and let it sit for a few days if possible and you will be very suprised how well they can work.

The only thing I don't care for in hunting out of one is that my arrows lay in the grass instead of hitting at an angle from a tree stand. What I found to really help with finding my arrows after shooting from a ground blind is to use lighted nocks.

I used mine for the first time last saturday a.m. set it up friday about noon. one nice buck and 5 doe came buy at different times. they did not like it. I don't dare set it up to far ahead of hunting cuz some bonehead would probably steel it. it was nice staying dry tho during the rain. I ranged the buck at 70 yards. He looked towards me once and then headed out. The does that came by hung around a long time trying to figure out what it was. I'll give it another shot in a couple weeks.

For deer, I think it is very important to use the camo screens to cover the windows. Deer DO NOT LIKE the black holes. Like already stated, either brush in well, or leave them for a few days.

The blinds I use are either Double Bull, or Cabela's with the 3D mesh cover. The cheaper nylon ones that shine are not the best way to go.

I have shot several deer out of mine, some very close.

Ground blinds can be very deadly if done right and make all day sits easier, imho, during the rut, etc. You still have to be still and quiet but you can spread out your gear and relax all day waiting for the shot you want, if it comes along. lol.

You guys all talk about adding some brush and what not to break it up a bit. Is there a point where you go too far?

Also, I was talking to a guy at work about ground blinds and he warned me about the decreased arrow speed when shooting through those shoot through windows. Does anyone have any experience with that?

When I use mine I brush it in so well that you see brush, not the blind. I've had people walk past me in it and not see it. I like to find an overhanging tree, cram it under the branches, and then, cut branches of the same sort of tree to ring the blind top to bottom.

I believe the brushing makes all the difference.

I have used my blind to guide handicapped archers every year for the last 6-8 years and to date, have never had an issue with broadheads going through the screen to the deer. I would set the blind up and take a few practice shots to make sure your broadheads will fly correct through the screen.

One would not want to mis a nice deer because they didn't take the added time to check this out.

I had on set up right next to a round bale, they looked the same to me from a distance and I had the screens up so there were no black holes. I had a doe feeding right to me up to a hundred yds then she kept looking at the blind and turned around and walked away, she was upwind also and there were 7 other bales around, so can deer count or what was the deal?

The number one reason I have been busted or made a deer nervous with a blind by far is to do with sight. Perhaps the blind stuck out with the hay bales. Maybe some grass or corn stalk covering over the blind would have helped it blend in more. Or perhaps she saw you moving within? I always position the windows of my blind sot that a deer can never look through the blind, if you know what I mean. You always have to have a dark background to blend with and remain hidden or they'll spot you if you move an inch.