• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which choke to use?

woody1975

I will be taking my daughter deer hunting for the first time this year. I bought her a Mossberg Bantam .20 ga. to use for ducks and pheasants. The gun fits her perfect and now this year she is going to use it for deer. It is a smooth bore (we'll see how well she likes deer hunting before I get a slug barrel). I have always had a slug barrel, so it was never an issue - I shot sabots and that was it. Which choke do you use in a smooth bore to shoot rifled slugs?

Thanks in advance,

DL

You may also want to look into a rifled choke tube and use sabots. I know most of the major retailers carry them. I have had really good luck with that setup in my old 870 standby. I threw on a shot gun scope and away we went. 100 yard shots are a pretty consistant 2" group. Best brush gun I have ever owned.

I think Remington makes Managed recoil 20 ga. slugs. Probably worth checking into. I wouldn't spend the money for a rifled choke tube unless the barrel has rifle sights or a scope. The major limitation would be the sights used and a rifled choke tube/ sabot slug combo is not going to overcome that.