• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help Accuracy for 11 Year Old

I have an 11year old who is beginning archery this year. he's been coming with me to rhe range shooting but his accuracy isn't coming along.

At current time he's only pulling back about 25 lbs. He wants to shoot out at 20 yards with me and his brother but his arrow placement is all over the place and I can't even get a sense for grouping.

Too me his anchor point seems good and I'm just wondering if 20 yards is too much for the poundage he is pulling. Should I just have him start shooting at 10 yards until he starts getting some sense of tighter grouping. Anyone have an idea where he could go get some lessons?

I think most archery pro shops will be able to give him some lessons. I see you are from CG. There is a new place in Newport you may want to try. Backwoods Archery and Bait. I believe it is in the strip mall east side of 61. Good luck!

Wolfpack sounds like to me that he's either pulling too much weight or the bow isnt set up 100% for him. Is he using a release and if so does it fit him? What I mean by that is that when he is at full draw does the trigger fall in the first crease of his finger and if so good if not you need to make an adjustment on the release or get a different one all together.

Make sure he is always making sure his anchor points and stance are good prior to each shot. My son probably thinks I'm a drill seargent when it comes to that but he also shoots 6" groups at 20yds and he is 8 yo.

Another thing does the bow have a peep sight on it? Are the arrows the same length and brand.

Just a few places to start

I would definitely make sure everything is matched up for HIM. Is he still using the same setting the older brother had? Too long of a draw length or improper arrows for his length/weight etc could cause accuracy issues.

Then of course there is always the issue of form.

I would for sure put him back to 10 yds. Focus primarily on form. He needs to build confidence at comfortable distances. 20yds is a long way for a 11yo. Work him at 10 until he feels like trying 15.

How often is he shooting? It could be the kid. Some kids at age 11 can aim, breath, and shoot. Others, can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Check everything else over first, like bowfit, release, form, etc... But don't be discouraged if it doesn't go well right away. I teach 13-15 year olds, some are just way ahead of the rest, and some are way behind. Just keep at it and make it fun. If you find out his form is good, and that the bow fits him, you might want to start playing games. One thing that I do is "Earn a Shot" I have to hit a bulls eye at 30 before I'll take any of the easy, 20 and 10 yard shots. It reminds me to aim, and then makes the 20 and 10 yard shots seem easy. However, you may need to increase the size of your bullseye so he doesn't get discouraged. Stay positive, keep us posted as to what you learn.