• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reflections I never new were there...

Similar to Steve's photo with the reflection of the trees coming out of that puddle, I too was out yesterday and captured one that I wasn't aware of until it was downloaded.

Once again I was focusing my efforts of the sandlines at Patricia beach on Lake Winnipeg. It was another low tide due the southernly winds we've been experiencing. In turn, south winds cause the water levels in the south basin to drop dramatically. I periodically stopped to shoot several of these sand scultures along the beach (as I often refer them by) and captured this one which displays the image of an Ash tree in full autumn color.

Here's what it looked like.

369_6962-1.png

I should have been paying more attention to my surrounding's. Had I seen this, I would have put in a solid effort to capture more of this scene. Oh well, some other time! wink

The standing wave, called seiche is truly an interesting phenomenon.

Water levels at Lockport can fluctuate as much as several feet depending on wind direction. Stu's docks, launch and parking lot can be victims of the standing wave phenomenon due to their location in that part of the river. Having said that, the perfect storm of high river levels and strong north wind is generally needed to affect even Stu's property.

A really good northerly flow at this time of year usually blows in the walleyes too. We want a 3 day northerly blow!!!

gatorhunter, thanks for filling in the blanks. I reckon Stu is out along the shore of Lake Winnipeg capturing the first sunset of fall. smilesmile

Greenbacks! Greenbacks! Coming up the river to Stu in the fall! Troll cranks for 30-lb kitties and 15-lb greenback 'eyes, and then chum sweet corn for monster carp. gringrin

What does the Red River near Lockport NOT offer? Let me answer my own question. It does not offer the best fish in fresh water. Lake trout! Although trophy channel cats are only slightly less cool. gringrin

Sorry to sidetrack this thread, Stu, but you really must get over here to Ely for some lake trout ice fishing. Heck, bring the camera. Once in awhile there's something up here in the boreal forest worth photographing. smilesmile

Andre` covered it very well, the fluctuation in water levels due the north & south winds is amazing!

As for those WORLD CLASS channel cats, it's been another stellar year! In fact, we've just fininshed up with a group from neighboring sask. and in 2-1/2 days with my guides they landed well in excess of 600 kitties averaging over 20 pounds!

The weather needs to cooperate a little more before the greenback run really kicks-off. Hopefully things will be heating up by the weeks end.

As for your comments regarding lakers Steve, don't be suprised if me and a few others take you up on that, providing we could do it in April when I'm finished hammering MONSTER 'EYES on Lake Winnipeg! wink