• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4X6 dark house project

Early Riser

I got pretty far on this project over the weekend between odd jobs, errands, a visit to a relative in the hospital, church, lawn mowing and cooking meals for the family.

I started a 10' x 12'shed during the evenings after work last week, finished the floor of that project, and then decided to use the floor to start a permanent darkhouse.

A floor and a couple walls

September2008BobbyandSpearshack002.jpg

The hole is 45" X 30"

September2008BobbyandSpearshack005.jpg

Walls done and a couple of sheets on.

September2008BobbyandSpearshack016.jpg

Materials

5 - 2"x4"x8' treated

1 - 4'x8'x 1/2" CCX plywood treated

25 - 2"x2"x8' studs

6 - 4x8'x 1/4 sheets of grade 1 Lauan plywood or marine grade.

I can get a few more pics up here as I get it finished up. If any one is interested in building something like this I can let you know that the materials cost me just a bit over $200 including lumber, hardware, paint, caulk, etc. With two full days a guy could get this project buttoned up tight.

Thanks guys. Shamalex, first I caulked all the edges and screws on the roof. Then I added two thick coats of spar varnish I had laying around. Now after discussing a few ideas with elwood on his thread, I am leaning towards also adding some sheets of aluminum or even thin steel to cover the roof. I will also likely wrap all the edges with metal as this is where the house will take a lot of abuse loading and unloading into the pick-up or trailer.

Jeff I have painted the inside black. I just finished up the door tonight. Everything is sealed up tight. I sat with a friend in his house last year after he had just finished it up - except for painting the inside black and it was plenty dark enough. I just think it will be even better with everything totally dark except for the light coming in from the hole.

ER-

Nice looking house. I think you'll enjoy it this winter.

I'm curious, so here's some questions, if you don't mind:

What's the interior height?

Did you insulate the walls/ceiling?

Where do you plan to put a heater?

Huey

I cut the studs at 6' so with the top and bottom plates the height is 6'3".

I am used to spearing out of a canvas portable so I am not used to an insulated house. I might get too hot!

In my portable houses I use either a buddy heater or sunflower, depending on the outside temp. I place my heaters behind me just to the left of the door opening. If this new house is as tight as I think it is going to be, I will purchase a big buddy and forgo the sunflower for the cold days.

If this new house is as tight as I think it is going to be, I will purchase a big buddy and forgo the sunflower for the cold days.

I have a 4X6 Canvas and I use a big buddy in there all winter. I put moving blankets over the top of it and I get a little insulation plus no condensation but the big buddy heats it up enough for me to go be in a T-shirt even on the coldest of days.

It would be nice to have a perm house since you could mount the heater on the wall or put it on a shelf and save some floor space.

BnS- Thanks for the welcome. It feels like old times, checking this HSOforum everyday to see who's posted. Good times, good times.... laughlaugh

ER - Thanks for posting. I'm thinking of building my first permenant so it's cool to see what you and other people like Elwood have done.

FYI- Fleet Farm had a really good sale on Buddys and Big Buddys last yr just before ice fishing. Big Buddys were marked down to $90. Hopefully they'll do that again this year. I'd like to get one for my portable.

Huey

earlyriser if your house is as tight as mine you should be able to heat it with a candle grin I have a 6x8 fishhouse that is not nearly insulated as good as my spear shack and half the time the heater is on pilot or off.

Heuy good to hear from you are you as pumped up as us for the up coming season. it was so cool to see you get that pike on the get-to gator last year can hardly wait for ice and its not even duck season yet.

Here are a few pics from today. Sorry about the white spots - from drizzle this morning. I still have to wrap the corners in light steel and cover the roof with same.

003-1.jpg

001.jpg

It is fairly light and I don't think I will have any trouble tipping it into the pickup.

By the way, I believe the Dec. 1 opener is a thing of the past. I heard the DNR is going to let individuals decide when the ice is safe. So if there is good ice by Thanksgiving this year up north we are good to go!

Landscaper, since the house is framed with 2x2s and sheeted with Lauan, it is fairly light. I plan on either tipping and sliding into the pickup, or sliding it onto a trailer. Since I can spear on several lakes close to home, I plan on using this house as a base where I can spear if I only have a few hours, or use if it is too windy to make spearing out of a portable comfortable.

I like being able to set up on a different lake every day, so my portables will get the most use. The permanent house project is just a way to experience another aspect of the sport.