• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cold weather Clothing

Pikemaster101

i have been looking at getting a new set of bib/coat for cold weather deer hunting. Anyone have any sugestions for what a good cold weather outfit is for sitting in the deer stand on those cold winter days. I am not looking for any blaze orange because i usally just put a blaze vest on over the top.

Any sugestions would be great including where you bought your outfit.

Thanks

I just bought a really nice thick fleece camo jacket from Gander yesterday and it was 60 bucks and I bought it one size too big so I could layer underneath it. Great price on a great jacket It's technical name is Guide Series Fleece wind proof Realtree AP I dont know if you know or not, but Gander now has a fully useable site.

Carhart. Bibs or the full suit. Easy to find, color isn't too bad and they last forever.

Yeah it is only the same color as a deer! To someone that doesnt makes sure of their target they could hit you!

I am also in the market for some cold weather gear and was wondering what OUT THERE is the warmest thing/gear/ jacket/bibs/overalls you can find. I am a south texan (originally) and 60 degrees is cold for me he he he. I get cold real easily and want the warmest thing out there. im actually planning if nothing else on taking a sleeping bag i get so cold

Originally Posted By: Tom7227
Carhart. Bibs or the full suit. Easy to find, color isn't too bad and they last forever.

Yeah it is only the same color as a deer! To someone that doesnt makes sure of their target they could hit you!

Uh, I think the original poster said he would put a blaze vest on with whatever he got.

I think the underneath layers may be the most important. use heavyweight/polarweight polypropolene long johns. Maybe some light/med weight if it is not real cold. Then a layer of fleece. Avoid cotton. On the outside I where a pair of Cabela's camo heavy insulated coveralls. I think they are 150 gram thinsulate. They aren't gore tex or anything but are soft and quiet. Then an orange vest on top of everything. I have Artic Armour and like them. But I would avoid them if there is much walking involved as they do not breath well and sweat can build up and lead to chilling later. I suppose you could just carry the parka in your pack and put it on when you get to the stand. The most important is you head and neck. I really like one of those fleece gators around my neck and a heavy hat. I where a lighter hat to the stand and put the heavier stuff on when I get there.

Originally Posted By: skee0025
Try Arctic Armor. Both my wife and I use it for deer hunting. It's both lightweight and warm not to metion waterproof.

I thought about this. I may have to try it! Do wear layers of clothes then?

I couldn't believe it took so long to get to the AA recommendation. That's what I use for hunting and fishing. Light weight, water proof and the warmest suit you'll ever wear. I wear under armor and just one layer of clothes over that. That keeps me nice and toasty.

I have the columbia wool bibs and a polarfleece windproof cabelas coat. For under garments I went with underarmour for a shirt and maybe a wool duofold top. For pants, I bought some polar fleece lined carhart jeans, best thing I have ever done. No need for long johns, those babies are warm.....if you check out my avatar, you can see my outfit, minus the coat, I removed that for the picture, actually I removed it for field dressing.

tom-p22.jpg

Originally Posted By: skee0025
Try Arctic Armor. Both my wife and I use it for deer hunting. It's both lightweight and warm not to metion waterproof.

I thought about this. I may have to try it! Do wear layers of clothes then?

I just use a set of long underwear, jeans and a shirt and stay plenty warm

I was at Gander today and saw the guide series of their deer hunting bibs and coat. They were like $100 each anyone ever buy any of this stuff it didn't seem to be the warmest. Does anyone have any of this stuff how is it. I wouold hate to spent this much money and find out this stuff is bad.

Thanks for any info on it.

Most of my outer clothing is Gander Guide Series Stuff...My waterfowl coat, then along with both my camo coat and pants, that I use for colder bow season and also for firearms season ( I wear a vest over the top). I've always stayed warm. Never had any issues with getting cold. If my hands and feet stay harm, I'm good for all over. I looked at some of Gander's GS Blaze Orange coats/Bibs last year when they were on sale. I personally didn't think they were as thick and heavy as my Camo Guide Series coat. Not saying it wouldn't keep me warm...But that was my initial thoughts. I haven't seen the new line this year. And if I was going to buy, I'd look to do it when they go on sale after the season.

But all around I've got to give the Gander GS stuff a nod as approval for me.