• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Passing a sock

2 DA GILLS

At what point do I need to get concerned if my dog ate a sock and has not passed it?

He is still passing stool and eating like normal. He has not shown any changes in behavior, but it has been over a week. Will a sock in a system cause harm after a certain amount time?

da chise - from what I read - it looked like your dog had a sock in it for over two weeks. Is that accurate?

Any thoughts or experiences with this and timeframes to pass a sock? By the way, it is a child's sock and a 65 pound dog.

I know of dogs that have passed woolen mittens and a childs stuffed toy several weeks after they went missing. I think as long as your dog is enrgetic,eating normally and having regular stool, he should be ok, but if your worried a call to vet wouldn't hurt.

redhooks

I did call the vet the day the sock vanished and was told to watch him, but just give it time for now. I just figured it would have appeared again by now.

When I called the vet's office again on Friday (after a week plus timeframe) the vet tech seemed a little more concerned, but was going to speak to the other vet that was in. They never called me back. I am not looking for non-required vet bills to be on the ultra safe side.

He is eating fine and full of energy. I will give it more time.

Just keep watching the dog. While I don't know exactly when my pup picked up the sock, her regurgitating symptoms stopped shortly after she passed it and started presumably when she swallowed it. So yes, approximately two weeks.

If he puked it up some place, I would find it. Unless he ate again. I live in town and have underground fencing. He does not leave the yard.

Thanks for the comments - besides the 3G's surgery comment. I do want to hunt this fall. I need the funds and the dog to do it.

Ron White had a joke about his Bulldog Slugo that apparently ate and excreted a golf glove that had writing on it. He was picking up the dog doo, when he came across the golf glove in the [PoorWordUsage] - and he said "I had to go into the house to get my reading glasses, because i can't read [PoorWordUsage] without my glasses."

Well, I thought it was funny at least...

Good luck with your dog!

Apparently, my dog can hold a sock is his stromach for 3 1/2 weeks without passing it. While duck hunting this weekend, he vomitted over the side of the boat. Sure enough, one children's sock fully intact. He showed no real signs of illness for those 3 1/2 weeks. Had it not been known that a sock was missing (and he had the other one in his mouth), I would have never suspected that anything was wrong with him.

Made my day, even my weekend. We even did well on ducks as well.