• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Late Summer Channel Cat Tactics (Video)

DTro

A couple of weeks ago, I was out on the river with LFC. He said, "I brought something a little different"

Well that something a little different turned out to one of the hottest baits I used in the past couple of weeks for Channels.

Where might one go to get this special bait you ask? Well look no further than your local grocery store. The seafood section to be specific wink

With this low water, the current has really been a major factor in finding the fish. Couple of areas to really concentrate on during this time of year and water levels such as this are funnel areas and shallow straight stretches. Find some partially exposed root balls and hold on!

The bass weren't biting down in texas one day while fishing with my grandpa, so we tried chucking some shrimp on a hook near a dam, and never had luck with it. I've heard of it really working when it does though, very popular bait down south where fresh shrimp is cheap.

Very good video!

I posted this before in here, but this channel was caught on shrimp:

n938xV0VFf05bZhyoI8P3XGXWTYEzb2Q0300.jpg

I do not know who this is, but they where fishing next to us on a shore trip in June (I think). He wanted me to e-mail the image to him, but I never got his e-mail crazy.

Funny twice over here grin. One, he was using shrimp for walleyes crazy. Two he never caught a cat fish before grin.

I think it was his first night shore fishing the river also. I told them about FM and figured I would post the image again.

He was pumped after the battle grin.

Again, good video.

what size hook do you use for raw shrimp?

Same as I use with cut bait. 4 or 5/0 circle.

Depending on the size of the shrimp I cut them into 2 or three pieces.

Here's the great part.

When someone mentions shrimp, the first thing you think about is cost. "Wow, that must be expensive".

Here's the reality. If you can find it on sale (maybe even if you can't) the Raw Shrimp is one of the least expensive baits you can use.

LFC made me a believer.

I would say approx 2.5-3" long. The bag I recently bought at Rainbow was a 2 lb bag and had 40 shrimp/pound.

That's 80 total shrimp. You can get 2 pieces of bait per shrimp. That's 160 pieces of bait for $9.98 (4.99/lb).

Now compare that to some of your other popular baits and you will find the price is pretty darn good.

160 pieces for 10 bucks....pretty sweet.

how many pieces of cut sucker can a guy buy for 10 bucks? 20 medium suckers at most (50 cents a piece), so what, 60ish pieces at best? That's assuming 3 pieces per sucker. I suppose 100 pieces if they're HUGE medium suckers, but those would likely be much more than 50 cents a piece.

Great video Darren and Larry. My Lockport channel was caught on a frozen raw shrimp. I've started using small rubber bands to help hold on the bait, and I think that helps with frozen shrimp. I have a fridge with live frogs and some frozen, raw shrimp in the freezer. I'll have to do a comparison. Thanks for sharing.