Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Musky_Madness

Cold Air Intakes

8 posts in this topic

I recently ordered a cold air intake kit for my 97 F150. I'm curious to see if any other FMers have one and what their experience has been.

Thanks

One thing is for sure, you will get more noise. Most cold air intakes will get you 5-10 hp. Just be careful because all the cold air intakes on the market use oil soaked cotton gauze filters and some cars and trucks mass air flow sensors malfunction and dirty up quick. You get more airflow, but you also get more dust. You'll like it, on some cars it makes a real noticeable difference since the stock intake was so restrictive.

You're mostly going to notice more noise, sometimes its the same engine sound just louder, sometimes you can hear the intake sucking air. If it uses a reusable filter, make sure to keep an eye on the filter and clean it regularly. They get pretty dirty pretty quickly since there is no more airbox or filter cover.

It definitely added more horses and torque. When accelerating, it sounds like your in a turbo charged diesel with the sucking and whistling sounds. So far so good! I'll be curious to fill it up with gas again and see what the mileage has been now that I've let off the pedal and am driving normally again.

Glad you like it. That's how people start losing mpg's because they love the sound of the sucking up and acceleration now. I think most intakes increase mpgs because they are less restrictive but people can't restrict their leadfoot. smile

FYI That cold winter air is gonna hurt your gas mileage. In the summer its an advantage.

It regularly looses mpg in the super cold anyways, just like every vehicle when it's cold. I'll be curious to see how much different.

You can improve your winter gas mileage by pulling the warmer air from inside the engine bay.