• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Apples?

ac777

When do the deer in Northern MN usually start eating the apples, after the first frost? I am hunting some private land with apple trees, and they have hardly been touched by the deer, and there's ton's of apples. Just wondering if anyone had any opinions/ experience with that.Thanks,

AC

In So MN the come into the edge of town and eat them off of my dad's trees. I planted some late season apple trees in one of our woods and they finally have about 50 apples on them this year. It only took about 12 years to start getting a decent amount of apples!

I hunt SE of Fargo, ND by a little town called Leonard. Out by the Sheyenne national grasslands.

I place the apples by a bait pile of corn and a few items for a handicapped hunt I guide for. They will eat all the food and the bait can be gone for a day or two and the apples just lye there.

I also dumped apples on a woods edge 10-12 years every year,Close to Mooselake.Deer never touched em!

Now where I hunt there are two HUGE crabapple trees and a few smaller.In Aug. lots of runny deer droppings,good trails. I hunted the area 5 yrs and NO deer there.By the time the corn is gone so are the apples. But No deer! In this area I guess they prefer corn,the apples are untouched once corn develops.

about 70 yds away is a main trail bypassing the apples,thats my honey hole.