• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel Advice w/ Gapen Rod

Question

When I get my 6'-0" Medium action Single piece Gapen Spin Rod - I'm gonna want a reel to fit her nice. My budget is $65-$80. I don't see myself throwin' anything over 1/2 oz., and I like to use as light a line as I can get away with for the terrain and the bait. Typically 6lb, 10 tops.

Species and use? General. I don't deep or speed troll, I don't muskie, carp or catfish hunt. I'll be using it to cast for bass & northern on lakeshores, jig or lindy for walleye, and panfishing.

Favorite lures are an in-line spinner, or a slow-presentation plastic worm rig of some sort. Don't do much crank or jerk baiting.

Thanx, ya'll

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

3 answers to this question

For right about $50 you could go with an Abu Garcia Cardinal (301 or 302), or the new Mitchell 300. They're probably closer to $45 each, but why pay more if you get good service and quality?

Robert -

I bought a Mitchell 300x last spring ecause of it's fast retrieve ratio, and because Cabela's had it on sale for $30 and a $10 rebate lowered it to $20. I've been pleasantly surprised with it overall. It comes with 2 spools and I've got one spooled with mono and the other with a superbraid. The reel is a little on the heavy side (for my liking), but I don't regret buying it. I believe that rebate offer is good through the end of the year. I think there is a 300 pro available too that might be worth looking into.
Another very good reel is the Fin-Nor. They've recently introduced a reel in the $30-40 range, but if you stay in the $70+ range you'll be happy with those too. 3-4 weeks ago Gander Mtn. was selling $120 Fin-Nor reels for $50. If you're close to a Gander store, you might call and see if they have any left.

Robert -

I bought a Mitchell 300x last spring ecause of it's fast retrieve ratio, and because Cabela's had it on sale for $30 and a $10 rebate lowered it to $20. I've been pleasantly surprised with it overall. It comes with 2 spools and I've got one spooled with mono and the other with a superbraid. The reel is a little on the heavy side (for my liking), but I don't regret buying it. I believe that rebate offer is good through the end of the year. I think there is a 300 pro available too that might be worth looking into.
Another very good reel is the Fin-Nor. They've recently introduced a reel in the $30-40 range, but if you stay in the $70+ range you'll be happy with those too. 3-4 weeks ago Gander Mtn. was selling $120 Fin-Nor reels for $50. If you're close to a Gander store, you might call and see if they have any left.