• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Losing CRP - Looking for CRP farm land to hunt in 2009

Cobra

The CRP land we have been hunting for years is being turned into crops next year, unfortunately. The farmer that has been allowing us to hunt his property has been great and I understand the economics he is faced with. But my hunting partner and I will need to find different grounds to hunt next year. If you are a farmer or know one that has CRP or wetlands we might be able to hunt next year, please let me know! Thanks in advance for any responses.....

I noticed in the SD public lands map book that there are more than a few of my favorite walk-in areas suddenly absent...it is a problem that is going to continue for the foreseeable future.

I don't really have a good answer for you, except to ask if you really do need to find a new place to hunt...cropland...even a cut cropfield later in the season...with a few tree groves or low spots that remain unfarmed can offer good hunting opportunities. But that would depend on if the farmer is willing to let you onto his cropland, and/or if you are willing to wait until the crop is harvested later in the season...

Thanks for your reply Jarrod!

I have pointing dogs and they do their best work in the fields of non-cropland areas. They can hunt the picked fields, however this is not playing to their strengh. Getting to my senior period, it's a lot easier for me to walk up to a dog on point in those big Dakota fields than chase a dog to a flush.........

I had really hoped I would have gotten more replies on this one from farmers in South Dakota.

unfortanetly this SD section doesnt see to much traffic. I know your frustrated but your in the same boat that the rest of us are in. Yup were losing areas and its unfortanate but it is what it is.

I would suggest buying the same book Jarrod has. With a little effort and some homework you can have just as much success hunting public lands as you will on any private lands. Is that going to happen this weekend on the opener probably not, but my favorite time to hunt is late season anyway after the corn and all the fair weathered hunters are done hunting all the public lands.

I hunt with 2 GSP's and I always seem to have more fun when its cold and snowy out and those birds sit tight. I am excited to hunt this weekend, but not near as excited or looking forward to my late december hunts with my dogs.

Thanks for your reply and common sense!

On the picked cropland item; those are better suited generally for flushing dogs rather than pointing dogs like I have......

CRP and wetlands work best surrounded by cropland.