• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tred Barta Arrowing Pheasents

Last night I was watching th OD Channel and Tred Barta Was pheasant hunting in Colorado. Over 2 days he got 3 with his long bow out of the air. It was really cool to watch. I am excited to do some pheasant hunting with the dog this fall.

I'd like to see him arrow a WILD pheasant off of public land in Minnesota, that would be a true accomplishment when you may only get a crack at 5 or 6 birds a day, if that. I'm pretty sure he was hunting a game farm (many short-tailed birds), some of the roosters did take off fairly fast though. Tred, if you're reading this, I'll take you out onto public land in Minnesota, and if you take one with the longbow, I'll wash your truck, just like Dan did!

I think tred is an idot. I really dont understand that man at all. That was some amazing shooting, but really when you looked at the one it wasnt a clean kill at all. I think we should all stick to our guns, at least its a little more ethical.

SO your saying when you wound a bird and knock it down, but he runs off into the cover, and doesn't die that that is more ethical? ALot of birds you shoot you end up wringing the necks of anyways so theres really no difference.I'm not trying to stand up for tred, but i'm just pointing out facts.

I love Treds philosophy of going back to basics. For me hunting is about the juxtaposition of modern man in nature. It's better for me with less. I like nature to win more than I like to be comfortable.

I pefer to sit on a hillside overlooking a draw than to make a heated, insulated, deer stand taj mahal. I prefer to fish from an old wooden boat than worry about the payments and doing damage to a boat that costs as much as my first house.

I don't think it is justifying my simple life either or rationalizing settling for less. I know it isn't for Tred.

I just like a hunting camp with no electricity and a flickering gas lamp better than a hotel room.

Driving down the highway a deer stand made from ash with a simple gaurd rail made from saplings cut from a shooting lane always brings back warm feelings of hunts long past, where a plywood sided-shag carpeted fort with a propane heater always screams neighbor problems to me, and at the very least, admits defeat or denial of the sole purpose, which is to forget about the trials of your everyday life and return to nature.

If I wanted to build I'd finish the basement at home. If I simply wanted a pheasant for dinner I'd order it.

That's why Treds approach speaks to me. Yeah you might wound a bird or two but if you cant cope with that you're surely not going to get the hunting experience on its' base level anyway.

Just some thoughts on going primitive,Hans

well he does like he says "the hard way". I was practicing last night with my long bow and flu flu's and aerial targets. There is something special when you build your own longbow, string and arrows. and I think he does take some long shoots but the training wheel guys take them all the time.

Oh yeah, He also has the best theme song in the outdoor kingdome. "Barta your the man" either that or Gold, Gold,Gold,Fever,Fever,Fever.

Just laughing to my self thinking of both those songs. The Nuge is out there too.Hans

I have stuck a hog with a knife and it was restrained, by a dog. Believe you me, didn't make it any less a hunt. At 1am in the morning in the middle of South Texas nowhere chasing bay dogs who have tracked down a wild hog with up to 4 inch teeth... I wouldn't think of going anywhere near it without a strike dog holding its legs. I about filled my pants but stuck a nice hog (113lbs)and it tasted great, now my friends who live down there have stuck many over 400lbs, and that is unbelievable to me. I am not defending Tred, but if that is the type of hunt he was on, so be it. This thread was simply started about him long bow hunting upland birds, which if you have ever seen anyone try, is quite impressive. Shooting flu flu arrows is a trick all in it's own.

I'm on the Tred is a joke bandwagon myself. Did you see the one where he is lauching arrows at Caribou............He didn't have a chance at a ethical kill. he was blindly lauching away!!

Or how about the time he took a leak in his chest waders because he claimed it would cause him to lose to much body heat in the cold weather to drop them down. I don't care how cold it is, I'm not [PoorWordUsage] in my boots!!

The guy is a joke who thinks way too much of himself.