• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Power Augers......I'm As Confused As Ever

blodngoods

Yup if your going to cut in a lot of dirty ice the Jiffy Chipper Blades with the teflon coating or whatever it is are very tuff to beat. Probably not a better old hole opener out there either. Mine just became to heavy to try and drag around all day after I had back surgery.

My Nils is way lighter and longer and Im 6'6" so I dont need to bend at the back as much with it and that keeps me cutting holes a lot longer. AS far as a Jiffy beeting a NIls in a race I have never seen it. Must have been something wrong as Tom says.

Many good augers out there. Find the one you like and go swiss cheese some ice. You will need a new one years down the line and if you want to change you can always do so then.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line is that you and only you can make the final decision on what suits your best.

That is something you will have to decide. One thing to consider. You mentioned also buying a hand auger. If you didn't know this already, the Nils comes with the hand auger attachment with that price, so right there you can knock off 50-80 dollars. Plus you can also deduct an extension if that is something you think you might need.

Also another thing that hasn't been mentioned is the handle design of the Nils allows you to get the auger in tighter places (the corner of a permanent for example).

Last thing I will add is that I continue to see guys darn near trying to knock themselves out putting all the weight they can on *insert name brand here* auger to get a bite and cut. With the Nils you simply pull the throttle grin

Northlander, that is one of the main reason I didn't like my Jiffy, my back could not take the weight of the Jiffy as it was so heavy lugging it around. It was a great auger and the chipper blades would cut through anything. I would file the blades down after every trip out and they lasted a long, long time but it was just way to heavy to run and gun.

You guys are right with the weight of the jiffy. I got rid of mine because of shoulder/elbow issues, and also that the Nils does pretty much cut by itself.

I have witnesses on Jiffy/Nils race! I would like to see it run against another Nils sometime to see whats up. One thing about the Jiffy is that it has enough torque when it hits the bottom of the ice it dosen't bog at all, it's just right thru like butter, which is a pretty nice thing when your right down to the ice.

I don't question your results. I just have found a totally different result than you have. My Nils will also cut right through the bottom of the ice hole. The nice part is, the shaft does not need an extension so, us taller guys don't need to bend over so far to get through normal ice depths.

Northlander, that is one of the main reason I didn't like my Jiffy, my back could not take the weight of the Jiffy as it was so heavy lugging it around. It was a great auger and the chipper blades would cut through anything. I would file the blades down after every trip out and they lasted a long, long time but it was just way to heavy to run and gun.

How good do the new Jiffy STX Pro 2 HP cut? I have an older Jiffy 2 HP nine inch that weighs 30 lbs. now and it works fine, it isn't the fastest but it is realiable. It would be nice to demo a Nils, SM, and Jiffy before one would purchase one on the three.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I have run all four of the top augers. They all have their good points and drawbacks.

If you're looking for mobility and an industrial grade powerhead then it's the Nils. It is light cuts through the ice cleanly and extremely fast. Blades are easy to change and inexpensive to have sharpened so you can easily always have a spare set. Maintenance has not been an issue for me and I treat my Nils rough enough. I do take care to ensure I do not cut on sandy areas on the ice. I cut over a thousand holes last winter on the same set of blades I still have on.

If you're looking for a great all around auger then it's the Strikemaster. Great service, lot's of places to find them, lot of differant types to fit almost any method of ice fishing and they certainly do the job. They are probably the best known auger in Minnesota. I for one would be very happy to keep one of these augers as my only auger. These are the true consumer type augers out there. Easy to find parts and blades as well as a top notch factory right in Minnesota close to the Metro.

If you're looking for the industrial model then it's the Jiffy. They are built to last. They do the job as well and have a very loyal following and are really Big in Wisconsin where their factory is located. You really can't go wrong with these unless you want to be highly mobile. Their is a price to be paid for a heavy duty auger. To be sure they have lightened up significantly and to many it is not an issue at all.

Let's not forget Eskimo. These babies are designed for those on a budget. I've used them and they are what I would start out with if I were just starting to ice fish and wanted to see what it was all about. They do hold their value so are a good solid tool for Ice Anglers who may want to upgrade in the future. Also located in Wisconsin.

Hawkeye where did you see Nils made a 10"? They do not. 8" is the biggest. Like I said before I just over lap my 8" holes if needed. I usually always have 2 holes where Im jigging anyways. 1 for jiggin and 1 for my ducer. I hate having fish tangle with the ducer cord.

Finally stopped by Strikemaster yesterday to get the skinny on their product. I have a 4 yr old SM Express mag that still runs great but it got "donated" sortof to a family member. Si at SM took the time to answer all my questions(and then some) and I decided to go with the 4 stroke w/ the composite auger.

1) It's very light!

2) It's very quiet with low emissions.

3) I re-drill holes in perms often enough.(Si said it would do better than my old 2-blade 8 inch)

4) The EPA regs on the 2-strokes have hurt their(and all brands) performance some.

5) Continued great customer service.

Now I just need to decide who I give my business to.

BTW...no 10" augers allowed in my fishin party...ever stepped in a slush-covered hole and ripped your shin to the bone before? Ever seen a small child fall in one? If you have you'd agree. I've managed to pull a 16lb northern and a 10 lb walleye out of an 8" hole with no problem. Should be outlawed IMO.

Jiffy has the best built auger IMO.(Talked with many guys on the ice with Jiffys well over 15 YO, one was 27YO) I have a 2hp Jiffy Stealth with 6" and 9" drills, a 6" Finbore hand auger, 8" Jiffy hand auger and a 5" Strikemaster hand auger. All 4 work great. I touch up all the blades with a diamond hone to keep them sharp, works well.

I love my Strikemaster 10" Lazer mag!!! Anytime I have had a problem I bring it to them and they take care of me and most of the time I don't have to spend a cent to fix the problems!!! I would never go less than a 10" after using one....when I fish with buddies and we all cut holes I can't stand fishing in the smaller holes.......

If you're looking for the industrial model then it's the Jiffy. They are built to last. They do the job as well and have a very loyal following and are really Big in Wisconsin where their factory is located. You really can't go wrong with these unless you want to be highly mobile. Their is a price to be paid for a heavy duty auger. To be sure they have lightened up significantly and to many it is not an issue at all.

Jiffy has lightened up the new models. The STX Pro is lighter stronger and more powerful then any other auger to ever come of the Jiffy line. One thing to always remember about the Jiffy is it may not be the lightest and may not cut the fastest but it will ALWAYS start and ALWAYS punch a hole no matter what is going on. Jiffy uses a chipper style blade verses the shaver blade so on lakes such as Red, Winnie, LOW or shallow water where the ice can be sandy the blades hold up ten times to that of a shaver blade, not to mention you can resharpen them on the ice with a two dollar file if need be verses the replacing or shipping the dull shaver blades to be resharpened.

Just to give you an example of durability my Jiffy Stealth has pounded out almost 6,000 holes the last few years, and that is through 2-4 feet of Upper Red ice and I had to replace the gas cap, thats it. My spare model 30 was purchased in 1996 and worked on the lake for sometime and still works great even after borrowing it out to just about anybody that had trouble with their auger. It has gone missing for weeks at a time but always comes back running like a top and who knows where or what happened to it. KellyP has a old model thirty that has been drilling and redrilling ice houses for four seasons and it lives in the back of the truck under the snow. Old bugger always fires up and cuts even when we pound the frozen snow off of it to get to the pull rope.

If you live close to a repair center or only fish as a part time hobby many of the above listed augers are fine, but if you want the same durability us guides count on go with the Jiffy. You'll thank me in fifteen years.

I too have a Jiffy 3hp with ten inch teflon head and it does run like a champ and is tough as nails and easily serviced but way too heavy anymore if I'm running and gunning and that job falls on the Nils .I doubt I will ever sell my Jiffy partly because of it's ten inch size hole which I require at times plus the chipper blade but I sure don't worry about needing to have it around incase the Nils should break because I don't think it will . I've run Strikemasters and Eskimos too without issue and I expect performance each and everytime from any auger I use not pull ,pull ,pull . They either go or are gone .Look after them and they will .

TD

At first buying an auger can be like looking for a car with all the right accessories for it, but when it gets down to it they are all pretty much the same: cut ice. When looking at an auger you have to look for the things behind the auger that will make it last. For example i have my strikemaster and their customer service is awesome. call them up, their offices are in the cities and they can ship stuff out to you. i havent had any problems with my auger yet its only my 3rd year, but if i do, i have heard great things about the CS there. so that helps ease my mind in what i bought.

I'd pay more attention to how you are going to fish when choosing an auger. If you are ever pulling a sled with your gear; you’ll appreciate this. But, if you drive everywhere this will have less impact. It is a little wordy, but you'll see where I'm going.

Eskimos use an Artisam head, and Nils use a Tanaka head. Jiffy's and SM's both use Tecumseh power heads, so starting issues between the 2 are usually user based from storage, gas, and abuse. Really; that is true with all small engines. Keep it in good shape and RUN IT! Another great idea is switching to Amsoil Sabre Professional 2-stroke mix oil. I run at 80-1, and it can be used for motor breaking right out of the box.

I really have no idea why someone would pay more to carry the extra weight a 3 hp power head will have. There is no arguing that they are heavier. I think SM dropped their 3 hp head from their lineup, as the 2hp head will turn all of the augers they offer just fine. Eskimo still has a 3 hp head, but they are also known for their earth augers, and you could buy an earth auger for your 3 hp ice auger if you wanted. SM and Nils see that more attention needs to be spent on the actual cutting surface, and the power head will only need to be big enough to turn it at a quick rate. And we can all appreciate less weight while pulling gear.

A chipper blade is more durable, but more work is being done by a smaller cutting surface. No one can argue with the fact that it is more work to pop a hole with a chipper style than a shaver style auger. A 2 shaver blade auger is easier to turn with correct pitch and sharp blades, and why nils and SM get by with smaller power heads. Yes, they are more delicate, but with a little attention paid to keeping your cutting surfaces in good shape will make all the difference in the world. Honestly, with as sharp as they are, why not put the cover on when not using it? It will keep your blades sharp and your boots (or worse) won’t get cut up. The only reason to get a chipper style blade auger, other than ease of re-sharpening, is if you plan on redrilling old holes (as in a permanent house).

As far as the bogging down on the final punch through goes, if you think you NEED a 3 hp head to get through you might want to try a couple of 2 hps in good running order this winter. Blade condition is more important than power head size. I run a 2 hp head (with a few small modifications whistle) and a shaver style auger. With proper motor break-in and maintanence, Amsoil Sabre, and good blades there is no reason to carry more than a 2 hp head. Now that mine has had all those things addressed (I bought it used) I get no slow down whatsoever at the bottom break-through.

If you already have a 3 hp that starts and runs good; good for you! I'm always happy to hear that 3 hp pop on the ice going to town drilling holes. Although, for someone to purchase new, save your money and save your back and get a 2 hp (or smaller) auger.

I tend to agree, a 2hp range is about as large as is needed.

I expect the market model future manufactures of ice augers will fallow will be 2 hp, and as small as 1.5 hp. I also expect more electric options, and new 4 stroke models to show up.

Who knows...maybe a high breed?

Yes a 2 hp is more than sufficient for turning any size drill including a 10 inch but I think I should explain too why I have the 3hp .

It also has to do duty on the trapline and often I have to drill on the edges of beaver feed beds to sink snares or conibears and sure as shat I'm going to hit something like a chunk of wood and although you best be hanging on tight,,, the big drill seems to have the extra torque to power through the crud . A 330 conibear is ten inches wide and even a wee bit of a snaggle getting down . And a shaver would likely not last me to set the next beaver house so a chipper blade is a must .

This trapper gets the shivers and cringes at the thought of his Nils having to do trapline duty EVER . It just ain't going to happen . LOL. NO WAY

TD

How much lighter is a 9" Jiffy 2 HP STX Pro than a older Jiffy 2 HP 9"(mine is 30 lbs)? Does it cut that much faster? I've have had good luck with my Jiffy but I've been tempted to buy a new SM. Never had any real issues with the Jiffy and whenever I needed any parts, it seems like I can purchase them about anywhere. I wish some shop would put on a demo between Jiffy, SM, and Nils. It's like a new car, you like to drive them before you buy.